Different sized CharacterMesh/Avatar skin within same prefab?

Vlaxep

Hi, I'm using Synty Studios models which work fantastic with UCC, I'm just trying to do something possibly a bit unorthodox and not sure if it's achievable....

The synty character models come with perhaps 8-12 different SkinMeshes inside of each prefab so you can quickly change 'skins' very easily.

Within the SciFi pack I'm using, there are also a set of BIG Character, which have a different Avatar/Skeleton, but still work fine.

What I'm wanting to do to avoid instantiating a New prefab, is find a way to utilitse the switching ON/OFF of skin meshes, but incorporate these BIG meshes too. The result at current is they are horribly twisted in parts of the model even if I change the avatar used in the Animator.

Has anyone got an idea how I could make this work? ie things that need to be re-initialised and scale/other things adjusted to accomodate this?

I can go down the route of instantiating a BIG character prefab I create, but mostly trying to avoid doing this if I can make this just a skin change which updates weapon offsets/avatar/holsterpositions etc. without changing the prefab at all.....

Hey thanks @Andrew , is there a quick and efficient way to make a variant of my current prefab with these 'BIG' skins and 'big' skeleton? ie So I don't have to go about setting up every weapon and ability in UCC again?

(Just changing the avatar in the animator doesn't change the screwed up skin)

Last edited:
You can create a prefab from an existing prefab which will start off as an exact copy of it, then make small changes one at a time. That page I linked should tell you how to do that, but it's just in the right-click menu on any prefeb I believe.

One thing with prefab variants, to do it correctly right click on the object in the Project window and select Prefab Variant. If you drag the object into the Hierarchy and then make a new prefab from that you will not enherit all the data correctly and you will suffer many headaches.

Hi @Andrew I understand how they work, but so far I've had no luck changing the Avatar/Skeleton.
My guess is during the UCC Character 'BUILD' process, it goes off the bones of the avatar to set everything up?

I've created a character from scratch with the BIG models, but yeah I couldn't figure out a way to get the all the root settings to match the BIG avatar...

@nathanj I've never experienced that with Variants.... is it particular types of things it won't inherit properly?

I'm not exactly sure about using a different avatar on a variant, you may need to run it through the character manager again after creating it.

I've had issues with abilities enheriting settings when I didn't use the right click - Prefab Variant. I'd suggest you do some testing quickly and make a prefab each way and make/apply changes to each and see how each behave. You don't want to get far down a path and realise that you need to redo everything. It's inevitable sometimes but if you can avoid it...