Custom weapon animations

sneekyo

If I wanted to create a custom reload for a custom weapon, rather then use the default. What is the easiest way to start learning to do that?

Is this the right process? I would need to take a model into blender, rig / animate the generic animations for firing / reloading. Then I import into unity, then I can use these generic animations to replace the default ones?

How do the arms come into play, I would need to also create an animation for the arms to match the custom weapon animation?

Would it be easier to like in the tutorial have the weapon and arms combined and create the generic animations for both combined?

I would just love some direction, I'm sort of overwhelmed by the process but I feel like having custom weapon animations is really important so I need to figure it out. I just need someone to tell me how to start.

The basic workflow is as you describe. The animations for arms and weapons are always separated (both have their dedicated animator and animations). But it makes sense to have the weapon with its animation attached to the arms while creating the arm animations, so you can synch motions.
If your arms and weapons are already rigged, you can also use a tool like UMotion in Unity for creating your animations. It might be a little easier not to have the export / import steps to Blender.

The basic workflow is as you describe. The animations for arms and weapons are always separated (both have their dedicated animator and animations). But it makes sense to have the weapon with its animation attached to the arms while creating the arm animations, so you can synch motions.
If your arms and weapons are already rigged, you can also use a tool like UMotion in Unity for creating your animations. It might be a little easier not to have the export / import steps to Blender.
Brilliant, I've been looking at Umotion. So using UMotion I can create generic animations for my rigged weapons, and I should be able to replace the default ones?

"But it makes sense to have the weapon with its animation attached to the arms while creating the arm animations, so you can synch motions."

Could you describe this process just a tad more, perhaps it's within umotion, but how do would you play both animations at the same time? Arms and weapon, to make sure they sync up?

Thank you for your time Christian, it's a lot to take in and I'm trying to understand the process I really want to be able to do this myself. The weapons I buy from the asset store are typically rigged, so I think using umotion I can skip the blender part. Perhaps umotion has some tutorials on this process?

Brilliant, I've been looking at Umotion. So using UMotion I can create generic animations for my rigged weapons, and I should be able to replace the default ones?

"But it makes sense to have the weapon with its animation attached to the arms while creating the arm animations, so you can synch motions."

Could you describe this process just a tad more, perhaps it's within umotion, but how do would you play both animations at the same time? Arms and weapon, to make sure they sync up?

Thank you for your time Christian, it's a lot to take in and I'm trying to understand the process I really want to be able to do this myself. The weapons I buy from the asset store are typically rigged, so I think using umotion I can skip the blender part. Perhaps umotion has some tutorials on this process?
I recently started to use Umotion and its a awsome asset. Its hard to say if it solves your issues with generic custom animations, but Umotion have a animation layer function that lets you customize said anination without tampering with the original.
Check out the tutorials on Youtube for Umotion, they are old but still relevant!

I recently started to use Umotion and its a awsome asset. Its hard to say if it solves your issues with generic custom animations, but Umotion have a animation layer function that lets you customize said anination without tampering with the original.
Check out the tutorials on Youtube for Umotion, they are old but still relevant!
Awesome, I've been watching those recently, what video in particular should I watch to address this?