Custom shape inventory grid

rokgin

The manual says that custom shape inventory grid is going to be majorly changed, there has been a few updates since, but I did not see anything in the update summaries about it yet. I just wanted to check if that is still the case as I have no urgency implementing it so I might as well wait for the update, if it is comming is there any timeline for it?

:D don't know if this is a coincidence, but I just got the update notification with the shape inventory

:) It took a long time to implement but I'm really happy with the result of the new Item Shape Grid.
Let me know your thoughts on it once you gave it a try

I really like the additions and it's such a happy coincidence that your update came at an exact time when I started working on a project that relies on item shape. UIS is part of every project of mine and I will definitely use some of the systems from item shape by adapting the code a bit, It just lacks a few features I'm looking for and has a few bugs, I'm going to list them below, hopefully it helps with future updates . I also would like to see ability to drag and drop items between item shape inventories (if I missed it somewhere please do let me know).

The following I'm not sure if they are bugs or intentional design features, but I would like to have an ability to change them:
1. hovering on the grid and then clicking outside of the grid selects the last hovered on item or grid square
2. Dragging an item away from it's original place and then back (without deselecting it) opens the item description again, in my case I would like item description to open only when I'm not dragging an item.

The following are bugs:
1. Dragging item short distance very quickly leaves the grid highlighted as seen below:
bug1.png

2. Clicking and holding another mouse button while dragging (for example dragging with left button and mid drag pressing and holding right button as well) results in strange visual behaviour as seen below
bug2.png

3. And the most serious so far is a crash when (this is a complicated explanation, so if you cant replicate it from it, just drag items around switching inputs) dragging item 1 with left button on tom item 2, while still holding left button begin dragging item 2 with right button, relese left button on item 3.
bug3.png

I hope this helps, I'm always amazing how much UIS improves with every update!

Thank you for the feedback and detailing the bugs. I will try to fix those for the next update.

Featrue design:
1) This is done by the Prevent Deselection component that sits next to the DisplayPanelManager on the Canvas. It's used to prevent desselection of UI when using the controller instead of a mouse. You should disable or remove that component
2) Humm... I will need to look into this. There is an event that gets invoked when a drag starts and ends. As a workaround you could write a script that listens to this event and disable the Item Description

Bugs
1)... I'm using the Unity UI Event System for selection/deselection. Perhaps you are going too fast and it detects the selection and deselection within the same frame?... I'm not sure. I will need to investigate further.
2) That's the first time I see that. I'll see if there's anything I missed
3) This might be linked to the bug above putting things in a unstable state.

Hi

Just a heads up that I found the issue and I will have it fixed in the next update. Planned for sometime this month
The selection bug was fixed.

I am limiting the drag & drop functionality to only one pointer ID at a time.
The last error was also fixed as a result to this restriction.