Climbing

rbgames

Hello,
First time here. We all love the controller but have a few challenges.
We are trying to get our character to climb these walls. We've tried several approaches and none work quite right.

Using the wall as is, the sectional nature of the walls creates a situation where the character climbs the beam and into the wall above it - entering the building.

If you turn collision off the beam the character stops there or mantles into the building

If we create a flat plane and turn off rendering the player can climb but at the top they crawl into the building or fall. This is also not optimal because there are so many walls and situations we'd have to create a ton of these walls for specific situations.

I even thought about how to limit the player to having to climb in a set circumstance (a ladder or something) but that seems contrived and I can't think of anything realistic to accomplish this. Plus I really wanted the player to be able to climb everywhere.

Ideally the player should be able to just climb all over these buildings, but not fall into them by climbing.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Whether it's a technical answer or a creative one.

Thanks!

wall.jpg

Are you using the free climb ability? In any situation the free climb ability won't work with those sharp angles.

For a situation like this I would modify the free climb ability in order to add support for those situations. It'll take some more raycasting in order to determine where to move to and some more transfer animations but should definitely be possible.

Thanks. I 'd like to find a simpler solution as we will have hundreds of buildings all made from prefabs. I'm also not a programmer and hate to burden our small team with this.

Are you using the free climb ability? In any situation the free climb ability won't work with those sharp angles.

For a situation like this I would modify the free climb ability in order to add support for those situations. It'll take some more raycasting in order to determine where to move to and some more transfer animations but should definitely be possible.