Brain Blocked: Creating New Ability (Vertical Wall Run)

Matt-The-Slayer

I am working on a new ability for my character, however I am having difficulty figuring out which direction to head in so that the ability remains efficient and requires the least amount of custom scripting.

I will explain the ability below as concepted:

My game uses a 2.5D perspective.

Ability: Vertical Wall Run

• Player jumps into a wall, while pressing the Vertical input for moving up.
  • Player characters upward velocity continues as long as the player is on the wall and holding the input, velocity slowly falls off to slow the character.
  • If Player nears a ledge he performs an automatic climb that puts him on top of the wall.
  • If Player's vertical velocity becomes lower than a specified value (in editor) then they begin to slowly slide down the wall.
  • While on the wall, Player can perform a jump that will propel them away from the wall and slightly upwards.

I own the Agility Pack, and can reference code from there if it would be helpful.

• Player jumps into a wall, while pressing the Vertical input for moving up.
  • Player characters upward velocity continues as long as the player is on the wall and holding the input, velocity slowly falls off to slow the character.
  • While on the wall, Player can perform a jump that will propel them away from the wall and slightly upwards.
This would be a new ability.

If Player's vertical velocity becomes lower than a specified value (in editor) then they begin to slowly slide down the wall.
You could subclass slide and add this logic.

Maybe DetectObjectAbilityBase, but you may need to just start fresh with inheriting Ability.