Behaviour Designer - Efficient Road/Job Systems

Bloody Rye

A concept most of you will be familiar with. I want to use behaviour designer to at first create a simple NPC Job system where they perform branches of tasks based on the time of day. So Checking if the hours are between certain times in three trees from Morning, to Evening and Night based on priority from Left to Right.

I am pretty much on-board with how I can achieve that, but what I would like to know is the most efficient way to make a character follow a set path, so a Road for example. What I currently have in mind is an Array of Targets that the NPC will work towards reaching before moving on in the target array, so when it goes to one target it will smoothly start to walk towards the next, dictating curves and such in the Road with different Target Arrays.

Is this an efficient way of accomplishing this?

Also, how can I go about introducing my own variables like Health, Stamina or Hunger for example to branch off into different things within that tree. Would love to know if anyone has any solutions to these that I could work off of.

Cheers!

I will be making Three Time of Day check scripts which will be compatible with Expanse, so for those of you interested I will be posting them below.

but what I would like to know is the most efficient way to make a character follow a set path,
I would take a look at something like the Simple Waypoint System. Behavior Designer is integrated with this asset and it will move your character along a path. It has its own locomotion component similar to the NavMeshAgent. In this situation you should not move the character itself within the behavior tree.