Attempting to create Quake-style jumping w/ air control

TommysTonsils

Hi! I've been learning the first-person character controller the last few days, and have been mostly able to tweak everything to my liking with the included fields. The only thing I'm struggling to configure is the jump physics: specifically, getting it so that the character's velocity is preserved on jumping, and does not decelerate until grounded again, while also allowing some minimal ability to redirect in mid-air. Put another way, I need a lower airborne acceleration value without clamping down on any velocity they had coming into the jump.

Having pored over all the included options, it seems like using the state system is the first piece of the puzzle, but I'm still struggling to make it work. If I lower the player's air acceleration, a jump will stop them dead in their tracks. If I raise air acceleration, air movement and ground movement become indistinguishable and they can't "commit" to the direction of a jump.

If this requires a custom script to accomplish, that's ok, but I figured I would check and see if it was possible with the stock options. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Have you tried adjusting the Previous Acceleration Influence value on the Ultimate Character Locomotion Motor? This parameter is what determines how much acceleration is preserved across frames.

Have you tried adjusting the Previous Acceleration Influence value on the Ultimate Character Locomotion Motor? This parameter is what determines how much acceleration is preserved across frames.

Yep, keeping Previous Acceleration set to 1 (which I think is the default anyhow) allows my previous move speed to carry into a jump; the problem I'm having is that adjusting Airborne Acceleration/Dampening overrides that previous acceleration value and essentially clamps it; My Airborne Acceleration needs to be low, so that players won't have perfect control over redirecting their jump, but I'm not sure how to do this without it clamping down on Previous Acceleration they've accrued pre-jump, if that makes sense.

EDIT: Aha, I guess I was setting airborne accel way too high; giving it a way more infinitesimal value, balanced with an equally small amount of damping, I can get some small measure of air control that is still lower than the Previous Velocity. It will take a lot of tweaking as these values are all kind of interrelated, but I think that was my problem. Thanks for the reply! :)

Last edited: