3d person movement to a point

Damon Poole

Hi,

I just bought the 3rd person controller. My intent is to use it for NPCs . I've got it installed, and the demo with Nolan works great (very cool!).

I've created a new scene with a single flattened out cube as a floor. I grabbed Nolan from the demo and put him on it. I put a vector a ways away from him.

I created a script with characterLocomotion.MoveTowardsAbility.MoveTowardsLocation(m_Destination.position); as documented and plugged in Nolan and the destination.

Nolan teleported to the destination, but I was expecting him to walk there.

So then I thought perhaps he needs a navigation mesh. So I did that and used instead the example from the doc with:

navMeshAgentMovement.SetDestination(m_Destination.position);

Now he just sits there.

I feel like I must be missing something simple/obvious. Is there a fully fleshed out example of "move over there" someplace? Or any hints as to what to do next?

Thanks!
Damon

Has your NPC the PathFindingMovement ability assigned? In the demo scene you can find Agent Nolan in the melee demo room. He has the AgentMovement demo ability derived from the PathFindingMovement. Take a look at that how the movement has been implemented there.

Has your NPC the PathFindingMovement ability assigned? In the demo scene you can find Agent Nolan in the melee demo room. He has the AgentMovement demo ability derived from the PathFindingMovement. Take a look at that how the movement has been implemented there.
I was using the other nolan in the scene, I didn't realize there was another one. Anyway, I used that one and added NavMeshAgentMovement and it worked. I should now be able to use this to transfer to my own character and figure out more from there. Thanks so much for your help!

I'm so excited about the idea of having such a versatile NPC in my game. This is going to be *awesome*! :)

Damon