2D sprite based animation clips + animator workflow for UCC v3

Nils

Hello there been a while since I checked the forums!

I was curious to know what would be the best approach to implement a doom like (retro doom 1 or 2) weapon sprite animator/animation clip?

I already checked many tutorials online, some go with UI elements with an animator component, others go the game object route. Since UCC V3 uses the game object pipeline, I wondered if I had the best shot at making this work if I created my animation clips and just adapted the animator (3D) from the demo with 2D animation clips (+ events)? I already copied all the parameters and everything, being at a crossroad I'm thinking.

I'm most likely gonna have to touch the code a bit, if any of you has any tip for doing something similar in the past however that would be most welcome as it would give me a good base to work from (since none of the videos online take UCC into consideration).

Hey Nils -

This is something that I have been wanting to add and include in a future update but haven't been able to yet. I am getting close to finally reaching feature parity with all of the version 2 add-ons so it's taking awhile. We are almost there.

With that said, I haven't really used 2D that much so it's a different world to me. The big thing with the animator is to make sure you replace any needed events, or use a timer. This is usually set on the Item Action or the module. There is no hard connection to the 3D mesh renderer with items so I think that you'll be ok there, but since I haven't tried it out I really don't know.

Let me know what type of progress you make, I'm thinking for 3.1 I will include this as a feature but we are likely still a few months away from that.

Hi again Justin!

I sent you a PM beforehand I hope that's not too redundant, didn't know you'd answer on the forums so fast.

Awesome I thought you might have been working on this (and the integrations as well I imagine). I'll start testing things tomorrow and keep you updated of my progress, if the results are nice enough I'd happily share any assets I made prototyping my project. I did think about only replacing the animations and keep the timers and events, I'll dig into it to replicate the demo assets so I have little room for error, thanks again!

The 2D side of things can definitely be another challenge entirely, I'm sure your updates are gonna be cool!