Upgrading to Ultimate Character Controller Questions

robert.nally

Hey,

I'm using the previous third person character controller for my game and I've got a ways to go before completing the game. As an aside, I am also using Unity 2017.2 at the moment and I'm starting to look into using the latest version of Unity, 2019.2, as I think the shader graph and high definition render pipeline might now be in a more complete or usable state? If anyone has thoughts on that I would love to hear them. Anyway, since I'm doing all this upgrading and I've got a while to go before completing the game, I was thinking that I might as well also look into upgrading the character controller as well.

The game I have is based around 3D platforming and I think it would be safe to say that the rigidbody character controller aspect of third person controller has been important. There are a number of abilities in the game and they use forces on the rigidbody character controller in order to function. When Ultimate Character Controller was being developed it seemed like it might not be a rigidbody character controller and I was just wondering if that is the case.

I'm assuming I'll need to rebuild my character, fix some scripts that reference the character, and possibly re-update some changes I made directly to Third Person Controller scripts, but I was wondering how the feel of the controller and the way it functions has changed and how that might impact an update. How possible might it be to sort of recreate the jumping feel, control, and movement that is there with the previous controller with the latest controller. I know it likely won't be 1:1, and in some cases that is probably a good thing as the new controller seems to have a lot of nice updates, but if anyone has experience with both controllers and can share how their transition went or what the major differences between the two are when it comes to upgrading that would be super helpful.

Thanks,
Rob

My general recommendation if you are in the middle of a project is to not upgrade to version 2. Some of the high level concepts are the same as what they are in version 1, but the implementation is completely different. Version 2 does not use a rigidbody for its physics - it instead uses its own locomotion system that was similar to version 1 of UFPS. Overall with this change there is a lot more flexibility to achieve exactly what you are going for, but it is a change from the old rigidbody system.

If you do decide to upgrade from version 1 you will need to create a new character and basically start from scratch with adding all of the abilities/items. The ability API is also different so it'll take some time to transition to that.