How To Remap Keyboard Input?

pgamer

Hi. I just bought UCC yesterday. How can I remap the keyboard settings at runtime, as in being able the player to remap their keys in-game? That is, I did this with an old version of UFPS, but that was by directly modifying the source base code, which I want to avoid with UCC, since upgrades break. I believe I understand how it works at design time, but I need to do this at game runtime. I'm surprised there are no inquiries on this matter. What I did in UFPS was basically let everything load up, then at the last possible moment, load the player's own saved settings that I serialized out, but it was an unpleasant hack that I don't want to repeat.

Hi, and thanks for that. This is just an observation and not a criticism, but this is kinda' odd. When I think of "integration", I was thinking more in terms of integration with the other assets, i.e. Adventure Creator, as opposed to Unity's own Input System, and didn't expect a separate package would be needed. Hence, I didn't even bother to check that section of the docs. Regardless though, thanks for the information, as this is going to be awesome.

I recommend using the new input system for remapping as it makes things a lot easier. Beyond that I am not sure the best way to do remapping in the old input manager - it wasn't really made for this. I suspect that the only way is to update all of the button names to a different mapping in all of the locations that the input is used, but this is a pain and using the new input system would be a lot easier.