Using Root Motion with Special Attack

Tester115

Hello,

I am currently trying to make an edit to a project using the Ultimate First Person Melee controller so that after
the special attack ability is activated for the sword and katana weapons, the Nolan character uses an animation that I have provided
that jumps backwards away from the target. I have experimented with using c# script in a separate script that I have made to make Nolan's animator component
play the animation and it works, but the accompanying root motion is not working and the character moves in place. After reading some of the documentation, it
looks like I might have to make some kind of ability and somehow associate my animation with it before calling it in my script, but I am unsure of how I would get started with this type of character ability. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The easiest route may be to include the jumping back animation within your special attack animation. Beyond that you could create a new ability which listens for the OnCharacterItemAbilityActive event and then starts playing when your special attack ability has ended.