Use does not complete

BumpkinRich

Hi,

I am trying to set up a first person pistol. I can activate the use action on the item but it never completes.

I have arms setup and also a weapon, both have animation controllers on, although the animation controllers are empty.

I have turned off all instances of 'wait for animation'.

Been looking at this for hours now and cannot find a way to get it working.

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I can see that Use.UseCompleteItem is NOT called - but I am struggling to find what is not calling it.

I can see in the animation controller that slot0ItemStateIndex is being set to 2.

I've switched off Face Target to ensure that it not causing an issue (though I believe that should be an issue with starting, not completing)

I thought I had tracked it down, but now I am more confused.

If I set FireInLookSourceDirection to false Use.UseCompleteItem gets called and the action completes as expected. But I do not know why.

Is the Use.UseItem method called? My bet is that it doesn't even get there - try going through the troubleshooting steps in the above link for the shootable weapon.

It was all down to Look Sensitivity. In case it helps anyone else looking through I misinterpreted Use being active as meaning the weapon must be pointing in the correct direction. Actually it seems that Use was waiting until the weapon was in the correct position before it began.

I have the same problem, but it only happens on melee weapons. Sometime my knife swing and then the animation stuck, the complete event has never been called.

Do you have Use Complete Event checked in the Melee Weapon component?

1598266611499.png

Does the knife swing animation contain the OnAnimatorItemUseComplete event name?

I have tried checked and unchecked versions, but the result is still the same. The animation is stuck, can not use, can not change weapon, every enemy that comes near me will be damaged, but only once.

Yes, I do.

By the way, I have fixed this bug by adding a counter to the code: When melee weapon is used, 0.1 seconds after, it automatically called "complete" function. The bug seems to have gone and there is no other strange behavior that appears. But I still need more time to test, because this bug rarely happens and I don't know the cause/how to reproduce yet.

If you do manage to reproduce this let us know!

Hey Andrew,

I haven't found the way to reproduce the bug with melee weapon yet, but I found out how to reproduce the bug with shootable weapons.
1. Fire all the ammo you have. (0 in gun's clip and 0 in inventory)
2. Fire when you don't have any ammo: the dry fire sound will play.
At this step:
- You will see the "pull the trigger" animation stuck at the "pull" state, it doesn't release the trigger. Despite how many times you press the fire button, the "dry fire sound" will not play again.
- You can't change the weapon (by equip next/previous ability).
- If you pick up ammo, the gun keeps firing until the ammo in the clip runs out despite you do nothing. When the ammo ran out, the gun doesn't auto-reload, and you still can not change the weapon.
- The only way to escape from this behavior is to drop that weapon, then pick it up again.

I'm using the old version of UCC (from early 2019), so I'm not sure this bug is fixed in newer versions or not. For some reason, I don't want to update UCC, so if you have a way to fix this bug, please tell me.

Thanks a lot.

I do not remember what the fix was for this but I am not able to reproduce it in the current version.

The cause of my problem is: I used UCC Demo animations, and some of them have problems!
In my case ("shootable weapon's use does not complete" bug): AssaultRifle's Dry fire animation's event positions are incorrect, so it will never be called. After creating a new animation file, add events to it, then assign it to the Animator Controller, the bug has gone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 11.07.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 11.07.52 PM.png
    467.3 KB · Views: 1
I think I found the cause of a similar bug with melee. It seems that recoil from being blocked by a shield can cause the Use to never complete.