[Solved] Problem when equipping an item and it being disabled

AllanGaunt

Hi,

I'm creating this post as requested here: https://discord.com/channels/476506682382483456/760110372035493928/1006219838135468152

Please see a (more or less) step by step on how to reproduce this issue here: https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/c3jjqhVZdKJ

This is a fresh project with a fresh install of UTC and UIS running the latest versions. The integration is also running the latest downloadable version. In the video, the pickup item has no model - this can be ignored. My main project is showing the model just fine. The main issue I have is that the equipped item is showing as disabled but when I enable it, the gun appears in hand as it should. It won't shoot or anything but I assume that's due to other issues.

What am I doing wrong with this integration? I _thought_ I followed the steps in the video.

I don't know what other specific information you need about this setup but it's very straight forward to recreate. Just let me know what you need to see and I'll post it. I have the project saved.

Regards,
Allan

The resolution of your video is quite bad so I can't read the text.
And you also forgot to show the most important part. The Inventory, InventoryBridge and InventoryItemSetManager inspector at runtime after equipping the item.
As I mentioned in discord my theory is that the ItemSet for your item does not exist or is not active.

I rewatched your video again.
I believe the issue is your ItemAction. You are using MoveItemToCollection instead of CharacterEquipUnequip.
This means you are soft equipping the item, not actively equipping it.

The documentation explains the difference.

I doubled checked the video tutorial to make sure it was mentioned. And it is, I even go into a little tangent on ItemActions for the Integration:
It's important that you read and watch things in detail. I know the videos and documentation are long but it is important to understand why we made the decision we did to understand the logic behind the system and being able to use it to is full capacity

Thanks for checking. I was using that one as the EquipUnequip wasn't working either. I've updated it to show this in action and it's still read only:

1660032467969.png

Inventory:
1660032505063.png
Bridge:
1660032534651.png

And inventory set manager (couldn't add more than 3 images to the previous post):
1660032592112.png

These are all taken with the item "equipped" and disabled.

I'd be happy to jump on a discord call and share my screen if that would help you see what you need to see. It's hard to know what info you need when I have no idea what is causing the issue.

The ItemSet does exist in your screeshot, it's simply not active.
Just out of curiosity can you try adding CharacterLoadoutItemCollection in your inventory with set active equipped to true. Such that it equips the item on start?
1660033377978.png
Also try not only "Equippable Slots" but also "Equippable" in the Give To Item Collection

The other thing you should take a look at is your equip ability
1660033601334.png
There should be a toggle equip ability
1660033643798.png
This allows you to toggle the item equipped by pressing 'E' (by default)
So perhaps it will allow you to equip to them item.

If none of that works, then most likely the item is waiting for the equip animation event and you don't have one

Make sure these are unticked for both equip and unequip on your weapon
1660033907867.png

Once we figure out what your issue is I'll make sure to update the documentation to prevent anyone else to run into it too

Ah ha! It was the wait on the animation! I didn't tick that box so I guess it's ticked by default.

This is how it is by default and unticking it solved the issue.

1660034258368.png

Ok that's good to know,
I'm very sorry for the issues caused.
I'll update the documentation to make sure no one has the same issue.

The reason its not playing the animation is because you haven't set the Animatior Item ID to the corresponding id, it should be 1 for assault rifle.
1660034509059.png

Here you'll find a list of the animation IDs used in the demo scene

Attachments

• 1660034423083.png
    1660034423083.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 2
Brilliant. This problem has forced me to look in a lot of areas so it's been a good learning experience. Thanks for your help on this. I can now move on to the next steps :)

It's worth noting that until I assigned an animation id against the item, the item wouldn't unequip. I couldn't see an option to wait for animation event for that though.

Unequip has the same option as Equip, and it is just below. You can choose to wait for the animation event for that too.