Item Pickup Issues and Extra Item Sets in play mode?

AwesomePossum

I'm working on my game again and am still pretty lost on what I need for a lot of it, but there's two things that I'm working on right now that I'm really confused by.

First, I recently decided it would probably be much easier/more convenient to have the character's special ability be in the second slot instead of adding it as an action for each weapon, and it works perfectly except now I've noticed that the game creates three extra Item Sets at runtime WITHOUT the ability in addition to the three I have in its default Loadout for now. I was looking through the documentation on the site, and figured it probably had something to do with the Item Set Rules, but trying to follow the instructions here ("The built-in ItemSetRules can be created by going to the project window and right-clicking Create -> Opsive -> Ultimate Character Controller -> Inventory.") isn't working for me. In the Create menu (or Plus) there's no Opsive section, and the Ultimate Character Controller section has no Inventory item... Idk if my version is older or if it needs something else it doesn't mention on that page, but I don't want there to be extra item sets that the character can't use their ability when they're equipped. And side note, I'm not sure if it has something to do with equipping the empty object for the ability, but when swapping to the Shotgun w/ the ability, it's invisible until the end of the cocking animation...

Second is with the Item Pickups, I tried my best to follow the page on it again, and it seems like the character is picking it up, but it adds a separate weapon and stack of ammo instead of adding it to the character's current stock and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Would love some help.

First, I recently decided it would probably be much easier/more convenient to have the character's special ability be in the second slot instead of adding it as an action for each weapon, and it works perfectly except now I've noticed that the game creates three extra Item Sets at runtime WITHOUT the ability in addition to the three I have in its default Loadout for now. I was looking through the documentation on the site, and figured it probably had something to do with the Item Set Rules, but trying to follow the instructions here ("The built-in ItemSetRules can be created by going to the project window and right-clicking Create -> Opsive -> Ultimate Character Controller -> Inventory.") isn't working for me. In the Create menu (or Plus) there's no Opsive section, and the Ultimate Character Controller section has no Inventory item... Idk if my version is older or if it needs something else it doesn't mention on that page, but I don't want there to be extra item sets that the character can't use their ability when they're equipped. And side note, I'm not sure if it has something to do with equipping the empty object for the ability, but when swapping to the Shotgun w/ the ability, it's invisible until the end of the cocking animation...
Are you on version 3? There was actually a video just released on this:

Second is with the Item Pickups, I tried my best to follow the page on it again, and it seems like the character is picking it up, but it adds a separate weapon and stack of ammo instead of adding it to the character's current stock and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Make sure your item definitions match your existing item.

Are you on version 3? There was actually a video just released on this:

Make sure your item definitions match your existing item.
I am not on version 3, I guess. Don't have the money to get that new version. Looking at the documentation on the site is probably not going to help me anymore, then.

And it turns out I didn't have my item definitions right... I had the slots rights, but didn't remember to check the definitions... I made sure to actually delete the Demo Collection so I don't get them confused every time. If I need to reference the demo scene again I can just do it in a new project, haha.

Anyways, I just found the PDF documentation so now I know where to look for stuff now, at least.

P.S. Is there a way to tell an item it shouldn't try to reload? I keep getting a warning when I reload weapons saying that my other ability can't reload without an ItemAction component attached to it? I don't think it's hurting anything, but still would like to stop the warnings.

Last edited: