How to control volume on ability sound effect?

mostlyhuman

I need to increase the audio playback volume on one of my ability sound effects, what is the best way to do this? Also curious if the process is the same for all UCC sound sources and if not how those volumes can be controlled on a per clip basis as well. Cheers.

Last edited:
I'd also like to jump on this thread and ask an extension of the question above. If an ability starts an audio clip that is long (e.g. 1 minute) how can the clip be stopped if the ability is stopped?

I need to increase the audio playback volume on one of my ability sound effects, what is the best way to do this? Also curious if the process is the same for all UCC sound sources and if not how those volumes can be controlled on a per clip basis as well. Cheers.

There isn't anything built into the ability to control the volume so you can do a GetComponent<AudioSource> on the target GameObject and then adjust the volume from there.

I'd also like to jump on this thread and ask an extension of the question above. If an ability starts an audio clip that is long (e.g. 1 minute) how can the clip be stopped if the ability is stopped?
Right now it'll keep playing but I just added m_StartAudioClipSet.Stop to Ability.AbilityStopped so it'll stop when the ability is stopped.

There isn't anything built into the ability to control the volume so you can do a GetComponent<AudioSource> on the target GameObject and then adjust the volume from there.

What about Footsteps? Those audio sources are created on the fly if I am not mistaken. I'd like to reduce the volume level of footsteps when crouched. Alternatively, I guess I can create a State that uses a separate surface impact for when crouched and then have a completely different set of audio files in the surface effect.

What about Footsteps? Those audio sources are created on the fly if I am not mistaken. I'd like to reduce the volume level of footsteps when crouched. Alternatively, I guess I can create a State that uses a separate surface impact for when crouched and then have a completely different set of audio files in the surface effect.
They are created on the fly if you don't have an audio source, but if you do have an audio source then it'll use that. You can adjust the volume on that already created audio source.

They are created on the fly if you don't have an audio source, but if you do have an audio source then it'll use that. You can adjust the volume on that already created audio source.

Thanks, that helped a lot.

Hey, coming back to the original topic of this thread: I'm trying to adjust volume of the Jump/Land but am not sure how to do this?

I tried adding an AudioSource to the root of my player game object but the audio source for the land sound was still generated overtop of that.

Is there any way to control this level?

At teh moment I've attenuated the wav files in the project, but this is far from ideal.

Thanks,
Nathan

The jumping and landing sound is controlled by the AudioSource on the main GameObject. I would verify which AudioSource it is using by setting a breakpoint within Fall.OnGrounded and stepping through SpawnEffect.