Changing the Character Model

pako

I understand that I can use the State Configuration + Profile to make a character behave the same as another character. However, I just want to be able to swap the model of a character, and everything else to remain the same, including Animator Controller since the rig is the same for all models. The whole idea is to provide users with the ability to use a character model of their choosing for visual/aesthetic purposes only, and even swap models at runtime. So, I'd really prefer to avoid building a new character from scratch and copy the profile from the first character, if possible.

This would mean, something along the lines of being able to have all MonoBehaviours (UCC + others) on a root transform, and then have a child transform, which can be used as a parent for any fbx model +Animator + the UCC required Colliders and Items game objects. Or something else that could work of course.

Is there a way this can happen?

EDIT: Could this work just by using prefab variants to set up different models?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Your intuition about prefab variants is a good one. I commonly recommend prefab variants for exactly this type of use case, and I've used them before for that exact purpose. As long as you're careful when editing UCC components (i.e. be aware of overrides) it tends to work great.