Change model of third person controller

Hi I need some help, and I don't know if it is even possible. I would like to change the model of the third person controller during game play - for instance the character picked up an item and is now wearing clothes or the colour of his clothes changed when walking through something. I have no idea how to achieve this. Any ideas?

I guess it really depends how much of this you have in game to justify the depth of approach you take.

This ranges from a single hidden mesh component / or dynamic transfer of your skinned mesh to your character rig as a one-off (for example at one or a few points in your game your character changes something) to a fully customisable character system. I use and would recommend UMA for the latter https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/uma-2-unity-multipurpose-avatar-35611 (note UMA is not about customisation of the default characters you see - it can be- , it is a system to customise any characters, if you are prepared to set them up) .

Thanks. Since I'm only going to be using this once or twice I am simply going to hide/unhide a mesh component, but thanks for the asset recommendation. I downloaded it and will check it out.