Agility Pack Issues

Shizane

I've got the agility pack installed and added to my character setup. I've tested 2 so far - Ledge Strafe and Balance.

My project is Pseudo 3D with restrict position on the Z.

In the Balance ability the character's balance animation gets triggered but he doesn't move left or right in balance mode. Balance animation is a speed of 1.

In the Ledge Strafe ability the character does nothing. I've copied from the demo scene exactly but nothing gets triggered and have been playing with the settings.

If I enable depth movement, the balance animation plays but he plays the animation if I press up/down not left/right.

They have the same object identifiers as the ones in the demo and a move towards on the ledge strafe.

Is there a setting in Pseudo 3D Movement type that I need to be looking at to get abilities to function?

Cheers.

(EDIT) - Ok I got the Balance working but you can only move him left and right on a balance beam if you press RIGHT + UP or LEFT + DOWN. Is there a way to only have to press left or right and not up or down?

Last edited:
As a test does the demo scene work correctly for you? If it does, have you tried bringing in the demo scene objects into your scene?This will indicate if it's a problem with the character or the object.

(EDIT) - Ok I got the Balance working but you can only move him left and right on a balance beam if you press RIGHT + UP or LEFT + DOWN. Is there a way to only have to press left or right and not up or down?
Can you verify what the animator values are? The balance ability sets the Forward/Horizontal input values based on the raw input values so this is independent of the movement type.

From Balance.UpdateAnimator:

Code:
            m_CharacterLocomotion.InputVector = m_CharacterLocomotion.RawInputVector;

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I forgot to mention that yes the demo scene works great and I did bring the assets into my scene and they don't work so it's the character.

I'm using your ThirdPersonControllerDemo controller for now and the values are the default.

Are you referring to the Threshold in the screenshot?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 8.08.31 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 8.08.31 AM.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 5
Are you referrring to the parameters when you say animator values?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 4.11.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 4.11.08 PM.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Are you referrring to the parameters when you say animator values?
Yes - so that is using the Forward Movement value. Is that value correct?

If you brought the ledge strafe object over then it's likely something setup differently with your character. You could check to ensure the object detection mode is similar between your character and the demo character.

How do I know what correct forward movement value to use for a Pseudo 3D on the Z? His horizontal movement has values at runtime but the forward movement stops when I collide with the balance beam. How would I keep forward movement on during the balance beam?

Everything is pretty much default after a character build.

The object ID's are the same, I checked those.

The ability is getting triggered and the animation on the balance, its just not moving forward on the Z unless I press Left or Right + Up.

The ledge strafe isn't working at all. They both have the Object ID of 106 and the ledge has the move towards. Ledge ability is near the top of the list.

Last edited:
How do I know what correct forward movement value to use? He does move correctly in general.
The forward movement value should be between -1 and 1. When you press W it should be 1. If it's not then it sounds like it could be a button mapping issue. Are you using a controller?

The ledge strafe isn't working at all. They both have the Object ID of 106 and the ledge has the move towards. Ledge ability is near the top of the list.
Does the ability show as active?

The forward movement value should be between -1 and 1. When you press W it should be 1. If it's not then it sounds like it could be a button mapping issue. Are you using a controller?

Does the ability show as active?

I'm in Pseudo 3D though with restrict position on Z, so A or D is forward.

Looking at the parameters, Forward movement does switch to 1 when I press A or D.

I've tried both the KB and a controller and they behave the same.

The ledge strafe doesn't show as active, no.

I'm using the Agility demo controller.

All the settings are default in the controller and characters, haven't really touched anything.

(EDIT) So I brought Nolan in from the agility demo and set him up to replace my character in Pseudo 3D and he also doesn't detect the the ledge for ledge strafing. I know I have the right object ID and a move towards..I mean its not even getting triggered...

Last edited:
As a test I changed the Agility Pack's demo scene to 2.5D and was able to reproduce the balance issue. The reason the character isn't moving is because of the transitions within the Animator's Base Layer.Balance substate. The transition from Balance Idle Left/Right to Balance Movement requires the Moving bool to be true and with the 2.5D movement type it's not. Within your own animator you can change that transition so instead of depending on the bool you can instead check for Forward Movement > 0 or Forward Movement < 0

On the Ledge Strafe I am not able to reproduce the ability not starting within the demo scene with a 2.5D movement type. Can you reproduce it within that scene with the Nolan character and the demo scene objects?

As a test I changed the Agility Pack's demo scene to 2.5D and was able to reproduce the balance issue. The reason the character isn't moving is because of the transitions within the Animator's Base Layer.Balance substate. The transition from Balance Idle Left/Right to Balance Movement requires the Moving bool to be true and with the 2.5D movement type it's not. Within your own animator you can change that transition so instead of depending on the bool you can instead check for Forward Movement > 0 or Forward Movement < 0

On the Ledge Strafe I am not able to reproduce the ability not starting within the demo scene with a 2.5D movement type. Can you reproduce it within that scene with the Nolan character and the demo scene objects?

Thanks so much for the help, Justin.

No the player can move on the Balance but you have to press up (W) and the direction (A/D) to get him to walk (because its set for 3rd or 1st person im guessing and mine is 2.5D) so the issue with Balance is how do I set this so you don't have to press up and the direction? I just wanted to press A or D to walk on the balance left or right...

When I come in contact with Balance, the Horizontal movement is 1 in the parameter but the forward movement is 0. So I'm looking for just forward movement for this 2.5D perspective

Ledge Strafe - I did bring Nolan into my scene and he doesn't activate the ability either...its so strange...I'm getting other abilities to work just not Ledge Strafe.

You mentioned "object detection mode" is that in the Locomotion IK?

Last edited:
No the player can move on the Balance but you have to press up (W) and the direction (A/D) to get him to walk (because its set for 3rd or 1st person im guessing and mine is 2.5D) so the issue with Balance is how do I set this so you don't have to press up and the direction? I just wanted to press A or D to walk on the balance left or right...
That's right - you'll need to adjust the blend tree transitions in order to get it working with that movement type. This is what you'll need to do:

The reason the character isn't moving is because of the transitions within the Animator's Base Layer.Balance substate. The transition from Balance Idle Left/Right to Balance Movement requires the Moving bool to be true and with the 2.5D movement type it's not. Within your own animator you can change that transition so instead of depending on the bool you can instead check for Forward Movement > 0 or Forward Movement < 0

Ledge Strafe - I did bring Nolan into my scene and he doesn't activate the ability either...its so strange...I'm getting other abilities to work just not Ledge Strafe.
Have you tried switching the movement/view type in the demo scene to 2.5D just to see it working from there? Once you get it working in that scene you should be able to copy the ability settings and object into your own scene.