Recent content by Nightkin

1. N

Controller + mouse with the new input system?

After testing in another level than the demo, and a brand new character with the minimal amount of UCC scripts, apparently I can use the controller and mouse at the same time with the new input system active. Please note that I'm using both the old and new input systems (because some of my...
  2. N

Controller + mouse with the new input system?

Hello! Just a quick question: Is UCC able to handle both the controller and the mouse at the same time with the new input system without one interrupting the other? I know it works fine with the old input system but with the new one it seems that whenever I move Nolan with the left stick of my...
  3. N

Multiple External Behavior Trees in one Behavior Tree Reference

Thank you for your answer. Yes I ended up choosing the second solution (with the "HasBehavior" task as well as a "AddBehavior" and a "RemoveBehavior" tasks to be able to activate/deactivate sub-trees in real time), this gives me more control.
  4. N

In fact, after thinking about it a little more, maybe it would be best for me to make one (or several) big tree containing all the external behavior trees, each one containing a simple "HasBehavior" conditional Task to make sure the rest of it is allowed to be evaluated. That Task would simply...
  5. N

Hello, In my game, characters are all identical at design-time (they all come from the same prefab) but have several ScriptableObjects that define their identities when the game starts. For example, one character may be a thief, another may be a named character, a third one may be a guard etc...
  6. N

Understanding aborts with inverted children

Welcome! Indeed conditional aborts check only conditional nodes, I think (needs to be confirmed but that's how I understand it), so your "is storage full" conditional needs to change status in order to trigger a "self" conditional abort located in the sequence containing it.
  7. N

Understanding aborts with inverted children

Your conditional abort should be set to "self" instead of "lower priority" I think. In this tree, you're telling your second sub-tree (the "go to workplace" one) to be interrupted whenever any node of your first sub-tree (the "is storage full" one) changes status. What it does right now, since...
  8. N

Help undertstanding do while and if

Welcome!
  9. N

Help undertstanding do while and if

It helps to rename the Sequences (in the task inspector in the BD editor) into "DO" and the Selectors into "EITHER". That way you read sequences as "DO x THEN y THEN z" ("THEN" being taken in the sense of "IF... THEN" but also in the sense of "AND" or "ALSO") and you read selectors as "EITHER x...
  10. N

Designing scaleable city management game AI

Right, Justin's solution is even better because by running each Behavior Tree manually, you can batch the execution of your BTs and smooth it over time. For example, with 1000 AIs, you could run a different batch of 100 or 200 NPCs every 1/10th of a second, making them all make their decisions...
  11. N

Designing scaleable city management game AI

Actually, if I may, I think you do have a way to control how often BD runs its update. Look into the BehaviorManager GameObject you have in your scene, you can specify whether to make BD run every frame or every X seconds (0.1 or 0.2 is not bad a number). Also, what I do in my project is uncheck...
  12. N

Request for a "Time Limit" node

Thank you for your answer. Yes I looked at the cooldown timer decorator before writing this post, it seemed to be closest to what I wanted but what I want to do is different. From what I understand, the cooldown timer waits for the child task to complete then stays Running for some time before...
  13. N

Request for a "Time Limit" node

Hello again, sorry for asking more questions... In my behavior tree I have a need for a lot of nodes like "do an action and wait for its effect to complete, or X seconds, whichever comes first". For now I do it like this : The blue "wait until door is open" node essentially keeps Running...
  14. N

Recursivity?

Thank you for your answer, I suspected as much seeing how external behavior trees are instantiated once. If I understand your suggestion, that decorator task would have to hold a stack of contexts to provide all the variables for the child sub-tree, am I correct? I'm don't know if there is a...
  15. N

Recursivity?

Hello, sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered but I couldn't find an answer in the forum. I bought BD several years ago but I'm starting to use it only now for my game... which has quite a lot of requirements. One of them being that an NPC should be able to do tasks...