Debugging Trees, Properties and ExecutionStatus

chaneynow

1. Is there any chance you can do an update where if a property in game code is changed, the connected Tree variable shows an error or goes Null? I make extensive use of properties in code to communicate between Trees and my game code. When I change the name of a property in a class that is connected to a Shared variable in the Tree, the Tree variable stays connected to the previous named property that no longer exists. If I forget to reconnect the Tree variable to the newly named property, the Tree runs fine but of course the variable has no effect so the Tree does not run correctly......much debugging ensues.
2. Another nice option would be to be able to see the ExecutionStatus of a Tree in the editor somewhere. This is a problem when you use the Pause When Disabled option in the Tree component. When Paused, the Tree tasks are still highlighted and it can be difficult to tell if anything is still running.

Thanks
Allan

Last edited:
1. Is there any chance you can do an update where if a property in game code is changed, the connected Tree variable shows an error or goes Null? I make extensive use of properties in code to communicate between Trees and my game code. When I change the name of a property in a class that is connected to a Shared variable in the Tree, the Tree variable stays connected to the previous named property that no longer exists. If I forget to reconnect the Tree variable to the newly named property, the Tree runs fine but of course the variable has no effect so the Tree does not run correctly......much debugging ensues.
You're referring to property mappings, correct? I can add an error check for this and add it to the error list if the property no longer exists.

2. Another nice option would be to be able to see the ExecutionStatus of a Tree in the editor somewhere. This is a problem when you use the Pause When Disabled option in the Tree component. When Paused, the Tree tasks are still highlighted and it can be difficult to tell if anything is still running.
Good suggestion, maybe a status on the bottom right?

That would be great. I think this has been requested before but some kind of yellow exclamation mark or something on any Tree variables that are not being used in the Tree would be nice. The only other choice is to use the Amazing Find option and search the tree for each variable but that takes a while. (Something similar to how Visual Studio greys out any variables that are not being used.) But I think a yellow exclamation mark would be cool.

Thanks
Allan