Weapon Attachments Configuration for UFPS/FPC

rkeown

I'm not sure how to put this, but as of this afternoon, my Development PC is dead in the water. My APC UPS failed during a power outage in the middle of the night, and the PC didn't go down cleanly. When I tried to bring it up, it was seeing one of my HDD's in the BIOS, so I swapped out both the SATA cable and the power supply connectors, and it now sees it, but Windows 10 has been booting now for over 65+ minutes, and am not sure what's going on as it's not showing up on the network. I'm going to let it continue to do what it needs to, for the rest of the day. I do have the development backed up, both locally, and in my SVN Repository. Worst case scenario, I have to replace an HDD.

I don't know how long I'll be down for. I'll be taking the system apart tonight, and testing the drives as well as the board and the power supply, and hopefully that will all be said and done.

Rob

rkeown

I was finally able to get the system up and running, however, the drive is dead in the water. I have to take a step back, and come up with a way of buying a new hard drive, and then getting it here as quickly as possible. I doin't have any spare drives, at the moment.

I'll keep you all posted.

rkeown

As of this morning, I've been able to recover ab out 99.9% of the development done on this, and am having to use an external drive, temporarily, for development. I'm cleaning up the excess files, between the backups and the repository versions as I had about 15% of the files checked out, but not committed as I was still testing. I hope to be back up to 100% by the end of the day. I have to order a new drive, and can hopefully get that here fairly quickly.

:)

Rob

rkeown

New Hard Drive and Additional Memory ordered. Everything will be here tomorrow! I've also recovered/rewritten what was lost (Stayed up most of the night), and am back on track!!!

:cool:

rkeown

I need to let everyone know what's going on, development wise. I'm still working on integrating this with UFPS, FPS as well as the Ultimate Character Controller which included Third-Person now. I've had some hardware problems in the past few months, as well as some medical conditions.

I now have Bell's Palsy, on my left side. For those of you not familiar with the condition, it's partial face paralsys, and I'm experiencing wuite a lot of pain behind and below my left ear. This is making it difficult for me to focus, as I have to struggle to keep my left eye open. Unfortunately, this is also the second time in my life I've had this condition, the first time was back in January of 2018, and it lasted about 11 months. I'm one of the lucky few, I guess, as It can re-occur, although very highly unlikely, it can happen within 2 years of the first incident.

I'm continuing to work through this, keeping up with what I can, and Using a lot of eye drops.

I know I'm behind, but have made quite a few improvements on the controllers.

I had to go back, and re-work some of the integrations due to hard drive loss. When I did finally recover/re-write all of the missing code, I found that there were sever drops in framerates, when applying weapon animations. This was on my end, and I'm still fixing it.

Just wanted to let everyone know what's going on, and why there haven't been any updated videos, as of late. I'm keeping Justin in the loop.

Rob

rkeown

I'm happy to report that all is back on track, and it was a very productive week. I'm going to take this weekend off, relax, and restart all integration testing, and hope to be posting more videos/content updates by the end of next week!!

As for the bell's palsey, my doctor started me on Anti-virals, and I'm actually happy to report that they're working, the pain is pretty much gone, and I've actually regained some (emphasis on some) facial muscle movement!

Have a great weekend everybody!!

rkeown

So, this is a difficult email to write, but don't worry its not a project cancellation email. Its a reason why the project is late and very far behind, and I'll explain below.

When I first started this project, it was originally intended for only UFPS, and that's how development began. At some point along the way, I decided it would be better to re-architect the configuration system so that it could be utilized by other FPS Systems on the Unity Asset Store, and this where things went off of the rails.

By doping so, it was a big mistake on my part. What ended up being a simple Weapon Attachment System for UFPS, blew up to where it was almost being written as a sole FPS system because filler modules had to be writtend for testing purposes, and this is where it became really complicated.

I made a rookie software engineering mistake to occur, and that was Self-Inflicted Scope Creep.

When working on development teams, there are individuals tasked with making sure that things like this don't occur, that act as a go-between for DEV, QA, PROD Administrators, while keeping in communications with project sponsors, business analysts, etc..

Instead of realizing and admitting this to myself, I continued to try to make it work, and not take a step back, and just go back to the basics.

That's what this email is for. I'm going back to just redesigning the architecture/integration initially for UFPS first, then the First Person Controller, and finishing with the Third Person Controller.

The reason for this is order, is because of my experience level with each of the individual systems. The majority of development for UFPS will be used for FPC/TPC. and where those two systems are, only the Melee Attachments will be available to FPC and TPC. My least amount of experience is with the Third Person Controller, but Opsive was gracious enough to provide me with access to this for development purposes.

The majority of the code base is already written, it's just simplifying what is required and not trying to re-invent the wheel.

If anyone has direct questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly via messages here. I still have yet to work on my web-site, which will be next so that updates and documentation will be freely available, as well as offline in the package.

Here's to getting back to basics, and my apologies again, as I know you have all been extremely patient with me!

Rob

rkeown

Ok, so after working day and night over the last few days, I have brought the project back to where it should be. I am now implementing the logic for UCC's Ultimate First Person Shooter, Ultimate Third Person Shooter, First Person Controller and Third Person Controller.

In the next week or so, I'm hoping to have the first version over to Opsive for their review/recommendations/etc...

Sorry if I had everyone worried for a while!