Version 2.1 Release

The CanInteract method within AnimatedInteractable.cs already has GameObject Character parameter in it:

public bool CanInteract(GameObject character)
{
return !m_HasInteracted || !m_SingleInteract;
}

and so does the Interact Method within the same script:

public void Interact(GameObject character)
{...

Sorry if I am looking at the wrong place (which I probably am).

Justin,

I am trying to wrap my mind around all the great changes that are coming through the pipeline with UCC, and trying to map my own game progression around it and project what can be done within a foreseeable future. As much as the release notes help greatly, I would extremely benefit from (even a tentative) roadmap for 2019 that can encompass the content updates and extensions. I know that roadmaps can be tricky as they contain spoilers and promises that may need to be altered along the way, but I am sure there are many devs out there that may be reluctant to try UCC as well since the lack of a public roadmap may deter them from choosing UCC over other options.

Would you consider releasing a very rough roadmap with even a vague timeline with major planned content releases (i.e. 2019 first quarter: 2.1-Parry, Counter Attack, Ability Starters, 2019 second quarter: Agility Pack-Dodge, Roll, etc). For me, I know that there are certain content types that I want to add into my game, and I need to make these decisions at this point in time for wrapping my current vertical slice, and I cannot go back in time to retrofit those into the early stages of the game. And I know that I cannot integrate those around UCC with my lack of coding at this time, and I know that if and when these content become available in so many months later I will regret not having waited to make room for those in the game.

For example, the parry/counterattack content update is a huge game changer for my project. If I had completed my vertical slice before that content become available, or before I learned it was coming out, I would be shaping my game to work without those, which would be a great gap.

One such content that I specifically would be interested in knowing about is the ability to induce effects in the enemy through abilities and sheer melee weapon collisions, such as causing a damage over time effect when I hit an enemy with a certain axe, etc. The RPG system addon by TinyTree may cover some of those issues, but I am still ambivalent about how that will work before I see it in action.

Thank you.

The CanInteract method within AnimatedInteractable.cs already has GameObject Character parameter in it:

public bool CanInteract(GameObject character)
{
return !m_HasInteracted || !m_SingleInteract;
}

and so does the Interact Method within the same script:

public void Interact(GameObject character)
{...

Sorry if I am looking at the wrong place (which I probably am).
You'll want to make the changes to DialogueSystemTriggerInteractableComponent.

In Unity Asset Store there is still 2.0.7 version.
Version 2.1 isn't on the Asset Store yet - I'll post about it when it is.

Justin,

I am trying to wrap my mind around all the great changes that are coming through the pipeline with UCC, and trying to map my own game progression around it and project what can be done within a foreseeable future. As much as the release notes help greatly, I would extremely benefit from (even a tentative) roadmap for 2019 that can encompass the content updates and extensions. I know that roadmaps can be tricky as they contain spoilers and promises that may need to be altered along the way, but I am sure there are many devs out there that may be reluctant to try UCC as well since the lack of a public roadmap may deter them from choosing UCC over other options.

Would you consider releasing a very rough roadmap with even a vague timeline with major planned content releases (i.e. 2019 first quarter: 2.1-Parry, Counter Attack, Ability Starters, 2019 second quarter: Agility Pack-Dodge, Roll, etc). For me, I know that there are certain content types that I want to add into my game, and I need to make these decisions at this point in time for wrapping my current vertical slice, and I cannot go back in time to retrofit those into the early stages of the game. And I know that I cannot integrate those around UCC with my lack of coding at this time, and I know that if and when these content become available in so many months later I will regret not having waited to make room for those in the game.

For example, the parry/counterattack content update is a huge game changer for my project. If I had completed my vertical slice before that content become available, or before I learned it was coming out, I would be shaping my game to work without those, which would be a great gap.

One such content that I specifically would be interested in knowing about is the ability to induce effects in the enemy through abilities and sheer melee weapon collisions, such as causing a damage over time effect when I hit an enemy with a certain axe, etc. The RPG system addon by TinyTree may cover some of those issues, but I am still ambivalent about how that will work before I see it in action.

Thank you.
The rough plans are to get the agility pack out within the next month, then start on the PUN multiplayer addon and the Deathmatch AI Kit. After that I'll be working on the VR addon.

I just imported the Dialogue System and saw the two errors. If you add the parameter "GameObject character" to the CanInteract and the Interact methods it should fix the compiler errors. I'll upload this version when 2.1 is released on the Asset Store.

I just saw the functions in that script and it worked. I was just searching the functions in project and got confused thank you.

I have a problem now where the characters that were working fine in 2.0.7, suddenly started jumping in their places. I noticed that they stop doing it if I turn off the fall ability. I was able to replicate this when I made a regular UCC AI character 5x their size (btw, the collider retention when resize is amazing!). Then I went to an older scene and noticed that older characters were doing the same thing. Any idea why they may trigger continuous fall animation while standing on a collider all of a sudden?

Any time frame?
No ETA yet - there is a minor issue with our Asset Store account that I am waiting for Unity to resolve before releasing on the Asset Store.

I have a problem now where the characters that were working fine in 2.0.7, suddenly started jumping in their places. I noticed that they stop doing it if I turn off the fall ability. I was able to replicate this when I made a regular UCC AI character 5x their size (btw, the collider retention when resize is amazing!). Then I went to an older scene and noticed that older characters were doing the same thing. Any idea why they may trigger continuous fall animation while standing on a collider all of a sudden?
Are you able to reproduce the issue within the demo scene? Or steps the reproduce it from a fresh character?

Just found a minor bug.

While running the game within the Editor, and when you rotate the camera, you will see cursor appears outside of the Game view. Firing will make the window behind Unity Editor Active.

Here are a few more bugs..

1. Riding and un-riding quickly will get the character stuck.

2. While running around the scene, sometimes the character is stuck in "Fall" Ability State. When it happens, it skates around. Pressing Jump will make it normal again. If I know what's causing this, I will try to test some more. The funny thing is it's in Fall Ability State but the animation is playing "Idle" Animation. Does that give you some hint?

3. Can't get off of Blitz where left/right are higher grounds, like the image below. If it's intentional, displaying a message would be nice.
1550042366296.png

Last edited:
I see that you added a state when moving toward the target with "Motor Rotation Speed" 100, normally it's 10. Why such a big difference?
Looking at the code, MoveTowards.cs line 180, it says, TimeUtility.FixedDeltaTimeScaled. Shouldn't it be TimeUtility.FramerateDeltaTimeScaled instead?, since you are querying the delta time within Update?

Code:
           m_CharacterLocomotion.DeltaYawRotation = Mathf.MoveTowards(0, MathUtility.ClampInnerAngle(rotation.eulerAngles.y),
                                                        m_CharacterLocomotion.MotorRotationSpeed * m_CharacterLocomotion.TimeScale * TimeUtility.FixedDeltaTimeScaled);

Last edited:
While running the game within the Editor, and when you rotate the camera, you will see cursor appears outside of the Game view. Firing will make the window behind Unity Editor Active.
I am trying to reproduce this but wasn't able to - can you list the steps?

1. Riding and un-riding quickly will get the character stuck.

2. While running around the scene, sometimes the character is stuck in "Fall" Ability State. When it happens, it skates around. Pressing Jump will make it normal again. If I know what's causing this, I will try to test some more. The funny thing is it's in Fall Ability State but the animation is playing "Idle" Animation. Does that give you some hint?
Thanks - I have both of these fixed. This will be in version 2.1.1.

3. Can't get off of Blitz where left/right are higher grounds, like the image below. If it's intentional, displaying a message would be nice.
This is intentional since there is a collider blocking the dismount. I like your notification idea.

I see that you added a state when moving toward the target with "Motor Rotation Speed" 100, normally it's 10. Why such a big difference?
Looking at the code, MoveTowards.cs line 180, it says, TimeUtility.FixedDeltaTimeScaled. Shouldn't it be TimeUtility.FramerateDeltaTimeScaled instead?, since you are querying the delta time within Update?
This gets the character rotating at a good rate. FixedDeltaTime is correct - Update is called from within the character's Move method which is executed within FixedUpdate.

I am trying to reproduce this but wasn't able to - can you list the steps?

I freshly created a new project in Unity 2018.2.20f and play. Doc says, there is locked mode but it seems not locked for some reason.
Code:
Cursor.lockState = CursorLockMode.Locked;
If you can't reproduce it, it could be Unity bug?

This gets the character rotating at a good rate. FixedDeltaTime is correct - Update is called from within the character's Move method which is executed within FixedUpdate.

I see. If it's supposed to be rotated from FixedUpdate, why is Character rotating at a different speed when doing MoveToward?
It's not big deal but it bit annoying because users must not forget to create a State object for MoveToward to fix this.
Perhaps it's better to modify MoveToward default rotating speed to match the character rotating speed to make it fool-proof.

Thanks for fixing the other bugs.

Justin, I just downloaded the new version and the file size is the same as the one from Feb 13.

It's a bit difficult to tell if there is any new version because there isn't any version number.
I have to download the file and compare the file size.
Could you please put the version number to the download section? And perhaps some changes list somewhere for each version?
Thanks.

I'm not able to reproduce not being able to change the ability properties - when I try to change the ability index it successfully changed. If you can list the steps to reproduce from a fresh project I can take a look.

The version number is listed on main page of the main manager window. Since version 2.1 wasn't out on the Asset Store I have just been using the same version number, though I have now held off and am just working on 2.1.1.

Hi, I'm not talking about Ability Index, but "Interactable ID" and "Ability Int Data Value", possibly others.
They are not exposed from the Inspector, likewise many Abilities parameters.
You will probably have to manually expose them but missed.

You updated the package a few times while in 2.1 but there is no way to know that it's updated or not.
It would nice if you have a version number in the download section so that we know it's updated.
Thanks.

It would nice if you have a version number in the download section so that we know it's updated.
Thanks.

I agree. Would it be possible to change "UltimateCharacterController.unitypackage" to "UltimateCharacterController_v2.1.1.unitypackage" , or have an info section at the bottom that shows the current version and maybe a link to the change log in the forums? This would be very helpful. Thanks for considering.

1550560675564.png