Vehicle Interaction not working...

fpaciello99

Hi, today I tried to create a vehicle as the one used on the demo scene, but when i try to enter, pressing the F button, nothing happens, even if with the prefab used in the demo, everything works...
Can someone help me?
I'm gonna post the inspector and all the scripts relatives to the vehicle:
Thank You!

Wheel_01.PNGWheel_02.PNGWheel_04.PNG

The setup on the vehicle itself looks fine, so the MoveTowards ability isn't getting activated. Can you share your MoveTowards ability? Check that the trigger collider is detecting the character and if the MoveTowards ability is being blocked by another ability. You could also put a couple of logs in MoveTowards.CanStartAbility/AbilityStarted to get a more precise idea of what might be preventing it.

The trigger detects the character, but the ability still doesn't start, I'll share the ability.
Thank you for the reply.
MoveTow.JPGmoveTow2.JPG

Not seeing any issues with your ability...

Can you do some logging to see where the ability is getting blocked? You could start by logging in MoveTowards.CanStartAbility and Ability.CanStartAbility to see if/where those are returning false.

Nothing... it doesn't return any values, but with the prefab from the demo, returns true.
I'll try to make a new one and set the values as the same on the prefab again.
I noticed another problem, also with the prefab, the car while moves, shakes a little bit.
I searched on the internet, and it could be a rigidbody/mass problem. Do you have any tips?
Thank you for your time and help!

Your last point on the car shaking makes me think that it's something related to the SkyCar component not being setup. Does your character move to the Move Towards location and then it just quits? The SkyCar component will disable the car until the character gets in.

Hi, I tried debugging with some logs, and the I think that there is some problem with the moveTowords script.
If I use the sky car prefab, enters in the movetowords ability and returns true, but if I use my car ,the script even if i'm able to start an ability and especially the Drive.canStartAbility, doesn't let me start the movetowords ability.

Your last point on the car shaking makes me think that it's something related to the SkyCar component not being setup. Does your character move to the Move Towards location and then it just quits? The SkyCar component will disable the car until the character gets in.

The character once it reaches the trigger, and I press the F key, doesn't do anything. (MoveTowordsLocation script doesn't even start)
I tried commenting the enable/disable car in the SkyCar component, and now the prefab and my car move with me. I think that the problem is the skyCar script....
Any tips?

Last edited:
I "semi-solved" the problem...
I replaced the mesh of the sky car with my mesh, and I created four new wheels colliders.
Now I can drive and all abilities work pretty fine.
I've got one more problem, the car still shakes. (you know like a "lag" effect)
Did you have the same problem?
Thank you again for helping me

Check this thread out. I think this might be the problem with the car shaking.

Check this thread out. I think this might be the problem with the car shaking.

Thank you so much!!! It solved the problem!

Did my document help you? What is your thoughts about it? I spent like 2 days trying to figure out all the steps to get the Drive Ability working with a newly created character.

Did my document help you? What is your thoughts about it? I spent like 2 days trying to figure out all the steps to get the Drive Ability working with a newly created character.
I followed step by step the guide you’ve sent me, even though in the end I found another solution by using the demo prefab so I changed only the meshes. However, it helped me with the configuration of the character and the camera. Regarding the problem with the shaking vehicle, the discussion you’ve sent me helped me solving it. I hope you don’t mind if I keep your document for future issues. Anyway, thank you so much for your help and kindness.

I'm glad it helped to get your vehicle working. I plan to keep the document available to the public as long as I can. I know that some of the documentation of UCC can be lacking in certain areas. That's why I created the document to help me and others.

I'm glad it helped to get your vehicle working. I plan to keep the document available to the public as long as I can. I know that some of the documentation of UCC can be lacking in certain areas. That's why I created the document to help me and others.

Great!!!

@GearedGeek thanks for putting this doc together. I'm surprised that none of the things you cite seem to be mentioned in any official docs or videos I've seen so far regarding the drive ability . I am having a massively frustrating time setting up a simple vehicle (just a box) with a new character. I only want to be able to have my character approach the box(vehicle), press "f" and have him teleport to the right position. Days of trying have resulted in absolutely no progress. This seems like a great character controller, but I'm nearing the point of abandoning it and writing my own.

So this is a message more for the mods/devs: Would it be possible to have a more basic tutorial on setting up a vehicle with the drive function? Starting with a new, basic character and a simple box to represent a given vehicle?

I think adding a video to show how to get the drive ability would be a great thing. It would of saved me 2 days I trying to figure out all the pieces that is required to get the ability working. I think how advanced the character controller is, it's daunting task to learn it with basic instructions. Anyway that's my thoughts.