Using with Vegetation Studio Pro

unicat

Hi, this controller goes crazy, if i use it with Vegetation Studio Pro. Is this a known issue ?
If i enable Vegetation Studio Pro my fps camera turns into a stationary camera. My player runs around normal, but the camera doesn`t follow him anymore. If i turn off Vegetation Studio Pro the fps camera behaves normal. Using Unity 2019.2.12.f1 and the latest VSPro version. Tried other controllers without a problem.

Last edited:
I haven't used Vegetation Studio Pro so I'm not sure. I thought others have though. In any case there will likely be an integration necessary for the Surface System. After we release version 2.2 I'd like to add support for this and CTS.

Hi Justin,

New to UCC so I'm not yet farmillair with figuring out its workings and my imposed issues.

I'm getting the same issue as unicat. If I have Veg. System Pro in a scene the UCC's Camera Controller doesn't assign to the player (even if it's assigned in the editor. If I disable VSP the Camera Controller works fine. If I enable it the Camera Controller is broken.

I get these two messages:
Code:
Warning: No character has been assigned to the Camera Controller. It will automatically be assigned to the GameObject with the Player tag.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:Awake() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:190)

Code:
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.KinematicObjectManager:RegisterCameraInternal(CameraController) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/KinematicObjectManager.cs:470)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.KinematicObjectManager:RegisterCamera(CameraController) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/KinematicObjectManager.cs:458)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:OnEnable() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:366)

I believe it has to do with a scene camera VSP uses in editor mode, though I could be wrong with this. VSP uses a scene camera for rendering vegetation items in the editor view. I could be wrong about this.

Any ideas to find a work around until you get a chance to look at this?

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

What cameras does VSP use? What is the message on the second warning?

You should only have the CameraController on the player camera and not any of the VSP cameras. From that second warning it looks like you have multiple cameras with the CameraController.

Hi Justin

The only camera in the scene is the one for UCC- though there are two camera components in this game object. But this is the same as in all the working demos.
cameras.PNG

Vegetation Studio Pro does not add or require any unique cameras in game, however, in editor mode, the main component uses a "Scene Camera" to render the vegetation in the scene view. I suspect that this is causing the problem- though I have no logical explanation for this but . Do you have a licence for VSP? If not I could message Lennart and ask if it's ok to send you a project to demonstrate this issue.

SceneCamera.PNG

The errors I get are:

Code:
Warning: No character has been assigned to the Camera Controller. It will automatically be assigned to the GameObject with the Player tag.
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:Awake() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:190)

Code:
Cameras array resized. For best performance increase the size of the Start Camera Count variable within the Kinematic Object Manager to a value of at least 2
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.KinematicObjectManager:RegisterCameraInternal(CameraController) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/KinematicObjectManager.cs:470)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.KinematicObjectManager:RegisterCamera(CameraController) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/KinematicObjectManager.cs:458)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:OnEnable() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:366)

Though changing this value in the Kinematic Object Manager fixes this message but the camera is still broken.

Code:
Some MeshRenderers cannot contribute to global illumination, because their HideFlags are set to DontSaveInEditor, HideAndDontSave or DontSaveInBuild.

Note sure if this is relivant but the error doesn't occur when Veg Pro is disabled.

Code:
Cameras array resized. For best performance increase the size of the Start Camera Count variable within the Kinematic Object Manager to a value of at least 3
UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.FirstPersonController.Camera.ViewTypes.FirstPerson:UpdateFirstPersonCamera(Boolean) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/FirstPersonController/Camera/FirstPerson.cs:532)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.FirstPersonController.Camera.ViewTypes.FirstPerson:ChangeViewType(Boolean, Single, Single, Quaternion) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/FirstPersonController/Camera/FirstPerson.cs:416)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:InitializeCharacter(GameObject) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:447)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:Start() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:379)

Again, changing the value to 3 resolves this error message but the camera is still broken.

Also, Using Unity 2018.4.13f

Last edited:
The only camera in the scene is the one for UCC- though there are two camera components in this game object. But this is the same as in all the working demos.
There should only be one Camera Controller component, but two cameras if you are using a first person view. The UCC warnings are more just notifications and won't cause any problems, but it sounds like you are having other issues.

Vegetation Studio Pro does not add or require any unique cameras in game, however, in editor mode, the main component uses a "Scene Camera" to render the vegetation in the scene view. I suspect that this is causing the problem- though I have no logical explanation for this but . Do you have a licence for VSP? If not I could message Lennart and ask if it's ok to send you a project to demonstrate this issue.
I don't currently have a license to VSP but have sent a message to Lennart yesterday. I haven't heard back from him but will let you know when I do. With my workload I'm not able to take a look at the integration right now but will after we release version 2.2

Some MeshRenderers cannot contribute to global illumination, because their HideFlags are set to DontSaveInEditor, HideAndDontSave or DontSaveInBuild.
I unfortunately am unfamiliar with that message.

very strange indeed - i'm running vegetation studio pro with UCC and no problems so far. Using unity 2018.3.14.

Thanks for letting me know it's working for you. Over the holiday i'll test out different set ups and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Small update.

So, if I move my player and all corresponding components into the demo scene for Vegetation Studio Pro everything works as expected. So there is something in my own scene that is breaking the the camera component. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

Nathan

@nathanj Did you ever work this out? We've just started using UCC in our project and are using Vege Studio Pro and having the same issues described here.

Yeah, it ended up being a simple set up error on my part, I believe - though it was a while ago and I don’t remember the specifics.

If your main camera tagged “maincamera” and is it assigned to veg studio?

Can you describe what’s happening. I can even understand what I was writing above anymore ;)

Thanks for the quick response!

The camera in the scene is tagged as MainCamera. It's not assigned to Vege, though even after doing so it still didn't fix things. I'm seeing the same warning messages and behaviours as described in the post: the camera ends up starting at the same spot while the character will run around happily; the camera doesn't follow the player. In the Vege demo scene it works fine, though the player has the jitters but at least the camera works correctly.

Think it's going to be a case of slogging through and comparing the settings on Vege with the one in the demo scene. If you recall the area that fixed it for you if appreciate if you could let me know, and I'll do the same if I work it out.

Cheers!

If you disable veg studio in the scene your having issues with, does this fix it or does the issue persist?

If it persists then it is something in your player or camera settings. I suspect this will be the case.

I’m trying to remember what it was, I’ll let you know if I remember.

Looks like we've worked out the issue, for anyone who hits this in the future. When we disabled VSP's TouchReact system the camera worked as expected. The really bad jittering on the character was fixed by setting the Update Location setting on the UC Locomotion component to Update rather than FixedUpdate.

We'll continue working through a number of other issues now, such as the Agility Pack abilities being automatically activated as soon as the game is started; suspect this will just be layer masks or similar.

Thanks for your help @nathanj!