update package

Dahrona

I want to update the package, but I'm worried it will break some settings or scripts that I've changed before. what should I do / should I pay attention to before updating the package?

If you made changes to the source code then updating the package will override all those changes.

I recommend always following these steps
1) Make a backup
2) Remove the Opsive folder
3) Download and import the Opsive assets

It is very important that you use version control (github, gitlab, plastic scm, etc...) as this will save you in case anything goes wrong.
It would also help you know what files you changed in UIS.

After making the update try to remember what changes you made and reapply them.

In general it is recommended to only change the source code if you do not plan on upgrading, instead you should inherit the classes and make new custom scripts to replace them, this way you never lose your changes when updating

good luck

If you made changes to the source code then updating the package will override all those changes.

I recommend always following these steps
1) Make a backup
2) Remove the Opsive folder
3) Download and import the Opsive assets

It is very important that you use version control (github, gitlab, plastic scm, etc...) as this will save you in case anything goes wrong.
It would also help you know what files you changed in UIS.

After making the update try to remember what changes you made and reapply them.

In general it is recommended to only change the source code if you do not plan on upgrading, instead you should inherit the classes and make new custom scripts to replace them, this way you never lose your changes when updating

good luck

@Sangemdoko as always great advice :) I have a quick suggestion that would help modders not change the base code. Decorate more methods/variables with protected instead of private. If I need to change a UIS class, I create a derived class, but the derived class doesn't have access to any private methods/variables and so I have to mod the original source to change them to protected. I understand best practice is to make them private, but as UIS is a foundation for other projects, using protected more often will help. (or, private protected, to be safer)

Last edited:
@Zaddo I use protected and vitrual as much as possible. Some things need to stay private or internal to avoid tricky problems.
If there is anything in particular you want to request to be made protected or virtual do make a forum post about it and then we'll decide whether or not it is a good idea.