Unity MLAPI

nathanj

Hi Justin

Have you looked into potentially supporting Unity's new multi player platform MLAPI ?

I know that it is really early and you would be hesitant to support an "experimental" asset - esp given Unity's history, but this does actually look pretty promising.

Anyways,

Thanks as always.
Nathan

I have seen MLAPI and know of one large company using it with UCC in particular but at this point I am not committing to any new networking implementations until at least Behavior Designer 2 is out.

I have seen MLAPI and know of one large company using it with UCC in particular but at this point I am not committing to any new networking implementations until at least Behavior Designer 2 is out.
Hey Justin,
We will be moving our network code from MLAPI to the Unity MLAPI once its at a stable release, will be happy to share code if you are interested in working with this API, give you a head start, if you want it, we use most of your products and will love to help out!

Hey Justin,
We will be moving our network code from MLAPI to the Unity MLAPI once its at a stable release, will be happy to share code if you are interested in working with this API, give you a head start, if you want it, we use most of your products and will love to help out!
That'd be awesome - I'd love to take a look!

Hey GreedyVox, I dont know if you have shared with Justin, but there is def a "skunk work" effort from a few of the folks in Discord who are working on solving this currently. Would you be willing to share with us too? Totally Open Sourcing our solution for the betterment of the community and keeps Justin working on more important tasks.

Thanks,
Chris

I have the code from GreedyVox and he graciously allowed me to do whatever I want with it. I have briefly looked at it but would love to get something more official going. What do you think the best way to work on this would be? Should I create a private forum here so you can freely share source code?

I would support any options provided, GitHub repo would be the ideal way under MIT lic. to share and allow users to use, create, and contribute. I would be interested in what you would want to see as official in the end. We also started a temporary Discord for collab, but we can obviously move it to the forums. So a mix of forum & git? Or a new channel in the official discord too?

Do you prefer discussion on the forum or discord? I could create a private channel in each which would require invoice verification so you can more freely share code.

Yeah, we can wall it off in both, the Forum would be a longer term repository where discord we could talk in real-time in order to rubber duck and iterate verbally code quickly. If it works, I would be down to make it an official package we could throw on the asset store etc :)

Sorry been really busy with our game, setting up the Steam API.

Please include me if you wish, I am also currently converting all the code from MLAPI to the Unity MLAPI, which isn't much of a difference, so much more features using the Unity MLAPI and couldn't wait any longer :)

Do you prefer discussion on the forum or discord? I could create a private channel in each which would require invoice verification so you can more freely share code.
This is more than fair!

Just to be 100% clear, most of the code is from the PUN addon, all we done was changed the API, so mostly Justin's work, purchasing the PUN Addon for $20 bucks is a great purchase, would love to see a Unity MLAPI addon and if there is way we can help make this happen, totally happy to contribute!

This is more than fair!

Just to be 100% clear, most of the code is from the PUN addon, all we done was changed the API, so mostly Justin's work, purchasing the PUN Addon for $20 bucks is a great purchase, would love to see a Unity MLAPI addon and if there is way we can help make this happen, totally happy to contribute!
I just bought it, and several other folks interested in MLAPI already owned it or also bought it, too.

Any chance I could be added to this private forum/chat? I'd love to test the MLAPI stuff out on a project I'm working on. Definitely looking to save time from changing up the PUN code to use MLAPI as well.

Any chance I could be added to this private forum/chat? I'd love to test the MLAPI stuff out on a project I'm working on. Definitely looking to save time from changing up the PUN code to use MLAPI as well.

Look at Justin's comment 3 comments above you.