UCC plus Ultimate Inventory Integration not working

Grouchers

I am sure both UCC and Inventory are well written but I am just missing some steps:

I downloaded the latest UCC, latest Inventory, and Inventory Integration package.
Installed them all fresh, followed the UCC first video on making a first person character.
Verified UCC character was working fine, even got it to damage Emerald AI mob and have mob damage UCC.
Following the Inventory Integration Video describing duplicating the database and creating an item pickup.
Used the Inventory Integration utility on the character as shown in the integration video.

Although the video didn't show steps to getting the UI to work, the notes shown on the UI in the scene described enough that I was able to get the UI working, and it picked up the item and displayed it in the inventory slots. I was able to drag the picked up item into the hotbar/actionbar and then clicking on it displayed the item's properties in the console.

As a Unity developer for about 5 years, what I expected for the prices/cost of the assets involved is that after installing the UCC and Inventory fresh along with Integration and then following the video (or some type of instructions) that everything should work - the item should be equipped when used from hotbar. This includes duplicating a database and not necessarily using the demo, as described in the video. Since the demo UI is there, i'm not sure why I would need to go to other more detailed videos to figure out all the other details to get it working - certainly it should all work after going through a list of steps.

One simple solution to this is rather than make people download the integration and then figure out technical components to finish the integration and get the UI working, would be just provide one UnityPackage with UCC and Inventory that works and has a fully working demo.

Alternatively I also believe that someone from Opsive should go through the currently available instructions, and without using internal knowledge, follow the steps and provide us with a full list of missing steps that would get the integration working if you don't want to provide a full unitypackage with the products successfully working together. Personally I don't need a video (I know the time and effort involved), I could follow a list of steps maybe with a few screenshots. Also the videos can become outdated quickly. I'm sure a lot of new users would appreciate updated videos but I just need the missing steps.

When I duplicated the database, I don't believe that it was working properly after the database duplicate. I would describe the errors and i'm sure you could point me to a fix but that is not the point. Rather than just providing the demo database again and saying that everything works, like I mentioned it would be nice if someone actually followed the available instructions and video just as shown like duplicating a database and verify that your product is functional after those steps, because I have a feeling that it does not all work. As an example, although most of the UI was working and all of it had references to the new database at least one component was referencing a demo slot item set or something like that, and my updating the component to use the new item slot set was being undone at runtime for some reason (after hitting play it reverted to the demo item slot set). Things like that, wasn't really learning on watching every video and learning every system to get the RPG demo up and running.

If someone from Opsive could just spend the 30 minutes or whatever and the provide the complete/updated list of steps and any other necessary steps (regardless of how technical) I would appreciate it so that we can get it the two working together and continue working on the game since these are important first pieces to have working. I was able to install the packages and go through the steps to create a player body and click all the necessary buttons, duplicate the database etc in probably 15-20 minutes.

I think it's great that it is being rewritten, but I'm assuming at whatever point that is completed in the next few weeks that things might still be changing or unstable beyond that (or that it could take longer than a few weeks). I would be happy to just get the current integrations working since it seemed like it was almost there but just missing some steps because the only thing we have are a year-old video.

Last edited:
So as you mentioned we are working on a new integration between UIS and UCC. It will be released next week if all goes well. Since a lot changed I will be rewriting the documentation for the integration too. This time I'll write a more extensive documentation which hopefully will help people understand the integration and get started faster.

Then from the feedback we'll get from this update we are hoping to continuously improve the integration and its documentation/videos during the month of April.

I will make sure to address some of the points you mentioned when I'll write the documentation such that it can help new users getting started with both UCC and UIS.

I'm sorry it's taking so long but hopefully the wait will be worth it.

So as you mentioned we are working on a new integration between UIS and UCC. It will be released next week if all goes well. Since a lot changed I will be rewriting the documentation for the integration too. This time I'll write a more extensive documentation which hopefully will help people understand the integration and get started faster.

Then from the feedback we'll get from this update we are hoping to continuously improve the integration and its documentation/videos during the month of April.

I will make sure to address some of the points you mentioned when I'll write the documentation such that it can help new users getting started with both UCC and UIS.

I'm sorry it's taking so long but hopefully the wait will be worth it.

1) Will items created in the current UIS still work with this new version? 2) Personally, instead of video, I'd rather have an end-to-end text cookbook with screen-shots that would create a working demo scene. If you do a video be very careful that all the field names and typed items are actually readable and no steps are skipped. Also, I've found a lot of Opsive videos refer to other videos in the middle of a sequence and don't fully name the other video, making it almost impossible to follow.

1) Yes
2) I'm writing the documentation right now. Hopefully the step-by-step setup will be clear for creating the character and the items.

In the release notes for the update I will make sure to explain the steps to upgrade without losing all your work. It should be fairly simple, although there are some things which have completely changed and won't be able to carry over. For example the Item Sets... but that's worth it since the new Item Set Rule system is a huge improvement.

1) Yes
2) I'm writing the documentation right now. Hopefully the step-by-step setup will be clear for creating the character and the items.

In the release notes for the update I will make sure to explain the steps to upgrade without losing all your work. It should be fairly simple, although there are some things which have completely changed and won't be able to carry over. For example the Item Sets... but that's worth it since the new Item Set Rule system is a huge improvement.
Sounds good. I have about a dozen very simple objects (weapons, ammo, health, etc) which are placed in about 100 locations.

Yes, you can check the new documentation here, you'll need the latest version of all the packages:

It comes with two video tutorials, they are a bit long but it covers all the basic concepts behind the integration and shows step by step how to set it up.