Tale Of A Wolf

Luke

Introducing - Tale Of A Wolf

renderTimingPixel.png

Hi Everyone,

I'm here to introduce my project 'Tale Of A Wolf'.

The game has been in development for around 6 months now (Using Opsive TPC) and I am hoping to complete the game December this year.
You take control of a young wolf named Ako.

*Enemy Grenadier
Born on the island of Sylvanna, you have learned much of the ways of the world from your father. However, there is still much to learn. Ako, a naive canine discovers this abruptly as he meets mankind for the first time and sees their wicked ways for himself.
*Take down Kill

You will have to survive the wildlands and reclaim the island to restore the natural balance of the diverse ecosytem on Sylvanna.
*Scent Vision - Preview

*A Stormy Night

If you would like to find out more please choose a link.
*If that is ok with you Justin - :) I will delete if not.

Steam:
Kickstarter:
Twitter:
Facebook:
Discord:
YouTube:
Thank you for your time !

Last edited:
Awesome! Definitely looking forward to seeing this progress. One of the most popular games that was made with TPC 1 was The First Tree where you play as a fox so I would definitely take a look at that game for some inspiration.

Thank you Justin, you helped me stick with the TPC and I am very grateful. You have made a high quality asset that has helped me focus on actually making my game! The First Tree is a major inspiration for me <3

A little update.

The Kickstarter campaign is going really well and it is looking like I will be able to get a custom soundtrack for the game.

I have a few videos to share, the first, how snow will look in the game.

Secondly a preview of the fire mechanics currently in the game.

Any feedback would be appreciated so I can improve the game at these stages :)

Thank you.

Small Update

The kickstarter campaign for the soundtrack, voice acting and a narrator has now successfully ended!

I have also been working on new features and a few end game bosses for the game.

They are still a work in progress, but here is a little sneak preview.

Electric Wolf - Based on Japense folflore - Raiju

Scent tracking - I still need to try and make this a little more complex, rather than just follow this trail :)

Looking good! Instead of having the tracking ability stop and wait for the wolf to catch up I wonder if it would be a more continuous experience if you always have the tracker n units in front of the character? If the character veers off course you would stop the tracker but as long as the character is following it then the tracker keeps moving.

Hi Justin thank you for your insight, I am trying to find a way to make into a more puzzle styled ability. I'm working on it today and I will see if I can figure out how to make the trail only progess if you are on the correct track so to speak :)

It has been a while since I posted here and the game is coming along slowly but surely!

Here is a look at how you can now rename your wolf pack, heal and release them from the menu.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone
:)

Here is an effort to make the world feel more alive, a military helicopter flyover - inspired by the RAF helicopters that fly over my house daily. The events will be triggered at random throughout the game.

The project is slowly coming together now, here is a few short clips from a playtest I did for the wolf pack combat.

I have also updated the scent tracking based on feedback.

Your feedback is very welcome, it really helps to have a fresh set of eyes on the project!

Small update to the wolf pack UI, it is now easier to rename your pack and see their current health status.

Only a small update, but here is a look at the drinking mechanic and also the new sound fx for the river & waterfall.

A new teaser trailer for Tale Of A Wolf has been released!

Please let me know what you think!

Very nice. Justin reminded you The First Tree as a source of inspiration, and you have gone a long way.
I really think that games with animal characters can be very successful as they approach a different market segment than the usual FPS games and if we are able to make them attractive and engaging for users we can move the perception that games are non educational. Nature brings us back to beauty and sometimes to poetry.
As I am also working in the development of a game based on a cat I am addressing some technical issues that from what I see you have solved.
As we are here on an opsive forum I want to adress the basic issue of generic versus humanoids support in UCC.
Could you elaborate a bit on how you approached this issue?
For instance, regarding feet grounding. I am now testing both FinalIK and the new Unity animation rigging package to bypass the lack of grounding for generics in UCC and wonder which direction you took.
Any suggestion to me or other UCC users working on quadrupeds is very welcomed.
Thanks for sharing your efforts, and looking forward to get your game asap

sergio from italy

Hello Sergio,

Thank you for your kind words <3

With regards to the grounding ability, you will want to use the 'Grounder' component in the Final IK asset. Unity has poor support for generic IK and the UCC doesn't support IK with generic characters.

However, you can still use the UCC ability 'Slider' when using the Grounder component too, it works really well with UCC.

I hope this helps you out :)

Best Regards,

Luke

Thanks Luke,
as I supposed your character is generic. I saw your messages on sliding and Justin fix, so fine with that.
No major other issues using UCC as generic rather than Humanoid? I guess that if you do not get in FPS with rifles etc other actions are OK, or are you only using it as a basic movement controller?
thanks again

sergio

Esssentially yes, I am using it for the movement.

I made a custom ability system on top of UCC so the wolf can use magic abilities and stripped out as much of the humaniod scripts as possible.

I handle everything else seperate from UCC, it caused a lot of issues as UCC likes to keep control of the player and camera almost 100% of the time.

If you get stuck you can always send me a message and I will try and help you out :)

Best Regards,

Luke

Ok, this is exactly what i feared having tested some nice features of UCC but aimed at humanoids.
thanks for now, I will try to cope with generic limitations as yiu did.
bye
sergio

Demo Now Available

It has been a few months since I have updated here, the project has grown so much! I am happy to annouce there is now a demo available to play!

zx0kfc2jqkx5hl2go3zv.png

The demo is set in Sector 4/6 of Sylvanna, has one mission available and will typically take around 30 minutes to finish. You can use a DS4 /Xbox controller in this version, however it is advisable to use a keyboard to enter the menu when you rename your wolf pack - I will be adding support to enter names via a joypad at a later stage.

rxhsqc8xlotlrmud3a4n.png

In this demo you will have the Ice Form at your disposal, please take a look at the 'Read Me' file within the download to get an idea of the controls and attacks.

gkmxld5jdmkkocg23am2.jpg

You can also remap the controls via the in game menu.

zto68sxhlocmkq3rhiwj.png

If you have any issues or questions please feel free to join the Discord Server, it is a great little community!

This demo was created to support my Indie GoGo campaign, you aren't required to back the project to play, if you do enjoy the concept presented in the demo please consider becoming backer.

Play The Demo - http://tiny.cc/toawdemo

Back The Campaign - http://tiny.cc/toawindiegogo

Thank you for your time!