System freeze after opening BD window

lolek

Hi!

After opening a behavior designer window, that has quite a lot of blocks(around 75) my mac freezes and does not react on any input except moving a cursor.
The flow (usually) is: I click on 'Open' button in Inspector, the window opens, freeze occurs for few seconds when I cannot do anything, after that everything looks fine for a moment, and after that there is a permanent freeze and all I can do is restart the computer. In ~50% cases after there are also some visual glitches with either the tree window or with the inspector (example in attachment). I'm also attaching a screenshot with the tree content (nested trees are not bigger than 6 blocks).

In the attachment you can see a state when the system does not react anymore. After that time, when I try to close/move BehaviorTree window, these weird glitches appear, and nothing more can be done.

1. Unity version -> 2019.3.5f1 (happens also in 2019.4.10f1)
2. System -> MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021)

There is no error message, unfortunately. It happens on one of 2 systems I tried it with 100% repro, and happens with around 50% repro on another. They all have the same spec.

When I have Activity Manager open, it shows me over 50% CPU usage for Unity, my guess is that there is an infinite loop somewhere.
Deleting Library folder doesn't help.

I realize that it would be hard to figure out whats wrong based on info I provided, but I don't know what else I can give. Can I please get a contact to someone that can help me to get forward with the issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 15.55.43.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 15.55.43.png
    400.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Image from iOS.jpg
    Image from iOS.jpg
    875.3 KB · Views: 3
If you open up the profiler what is causing the bottleneck? Does the same thing occur in a fresh project?

It would not occur in a fresh project, it occurs only for this one specific behavior tree.

I tried to open BT in play mode with profiler running. Initially everything went the way it did before, profiler didn't show anything strange (strange is the fact that it didn't even notice the freeze). But what's different is when having the profiler open, the game did unfreeze after around half a minute, so although uncomfortable, it's possible to work that way.

I have no idea though why the presence of the profiler would make the freeze go away...

Hmm, odd. If you are profiling the editor does it show a bottleneck? Also, when the task list is drawn it draws every button even if that button isn't visible so as a test you could see if having a different tab helps (such as the variables tab). I've tried to add a workaround to prevent all of the buttons from being drawn if they aren't visible but with IMGUI it ends up causing more problems then it solves.

The profiler doesn't even notice that there is something wrong, no spikes, no anything. It suggests that the freeze is related to the whole system, not only unity.
I noticed that timer on system's bar doesn't update, so it's definitely system related :p

Interesting. Have you tried updating your Unity version? If it's running the latest and still doing it it's probably worth submitting a bug report to Unity since it does seem lower level.