Slide doesn't carry momentum when the slide ability stops

dandesign

Hi,

I'm working on a project, and currently, when the player walks down a steep hill, they start sliding. That works fine, but the problem is, that when the slide ability stops, the player just comes to an abrupt stop. I've tested this on a clean, UCC-only project, and the same behavior is there.

On the original UFPS, the momentum from the slide would carry on affecting the player when they've stopped sliding, making for a smooth slide, but right now, it's very abrupt. The player also doesn't have any rotational or positional impact when they slide down a steep platform, when it extends right down into the ground.

I've tried adding some external force at the end of the slide to have a smoother transition, but it's very finicky.

Is this just a bug or am I doing something wrong? It seems unlikely that it's a problem on my end, since it seems to be also happening on a clean project.

Thanks.

When slide is active it adds an external force to the controller. While sliding the external force is going in one direction, and if you stop sliding because the slope is no longer slideable that external force will be going into the ground. I have added it to my list to enhance the slide ability so it transfers the momentum direction.. I'll try to get it in the next version but if not then it'll be in the following release.

That's great to hear.

What I ended up doing was get the velocity a frame before the ability stops, then add it as external force (with a bit more going downwards, as sometimes it would launch the player into the air) and spread it out through a few frames. Not as smooth as the original UFPS, but gets the job done.