Rig Layers Auto-Assigned at Play Mode

I am trying to create a new layer system to enable the enemy characters to be able to pass through each other and also to make sure they do not shoot each other when they are in each others' line of sight, and it is proving the be more complicated than I thought.

I created new layers named SubEnemy, EnemyWeapon, and PlayerWeapon. I made sure in the physics matrix that only player weapon can damage the enemy, and vice versa. Also I made sure that subenemy layers can pass through each other, and also assigned each one of the previously "SubCharacter" labeled rig colliders "SubEnemy" and all default layered weapons "EnemyWeapon".

The AI character still works, and the melee character can hit the player. However, the player character's arrows do not hit the subenemy layer, even though I have shown this in the physics matrix, and also in the impact layers inside both the bow and the projectile attached to it. Moreover, the enemy character seems to auto-assign layers different than the subenemy to some random rigs, namely it changes hip and abdomenupper to character or subcharacter, only during play mode, and then it goes back to normal when I stop the play mode.

Could you give me any hints on how to pull this through, or even, if I should attempt to make layer changes, or are these pretty much hardwired to how UCC works?

Thank you.