Resident Evil Style Menu and Crafting

Nicky_g_

About a month ago I went all in and retooled my game from Invector to the Opsive suite. It's the best move I made for my game because UTC, BD, and UIS are a lot more robust and flexible than what you get with Invector.

For the past few days I have been trying to mimic the Resident Evil style inventor and storage system (specifically Resident Evil 2 remake) and I'm having a really hard time. I was able to get the storage box menu to show up correctly but I'm receiving a ton of errors and it won't let me store anything into it. Also, I'm not sure where to begin to have my inventory also be the crafting screen. In Resident Evil you craft things in your inventory screen through a drop down when you have the right ingredients, I'm not sure how to do that with UIS. lastly, I tried adding and removing slots to the inventory but it causes another inventory to be made. How can I achieve these features?

I've watched all the videos and they have been helpful, I've been able to setup my inventory and create items with ease and integration with UTC was a breeze as well.

If someone could point me in the right direction in where to get started I'd highly appreciate it, for reference of the inventory I'm trying to mimic here is a link:

Inventory In Use
Crafting
Storage

Thank you

That sounds very exiting. I'm not familiar with the inventory in Resident Evil 2 but the videos you linked explain really well what you are trying to achieve.

The inventory and storage should be doable, the problem is crafting. With the current UI in v1.0.X that's not really possible. But the good news is that it will be possible to do this in v1.1 with the complete revamp of the UI system. Of course it'll require a bit of custom code but we have a Move action that lets you move an item from one spot to another, so the logic of selecting one item and then another would be the same.

If you are able to wait around 1.5 month I should (hopefully) be done with v1.1. If you can't wait that long then it will be a bit more complicated. I could help you come up with a place holder in the mean time. Example click combine and then it gives you a list of items (similar to the assign action which gives a list of slots to assign the item to)

V1.1 will also come with an easy UI Builder editor which should help with preventing bugs like you are getting now with taking the storage from the demo scene.

My guess is that the errors are related to categories that are from the wrong database (they are probably referencing the demo database instead of yours). You can fix this using the replace database objects functionality. Under the New Inventory Database section, under the image you can find some instructions about it: https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-inventory-system/getting-started/

The inventory is just one aspect of my game, I can keep myself busy until then :)

Thanks for the speedy reply, I will follow the link you sent and will be back with questions after the update.

Thanks again!

Good luck with your game, I love to see what people achieve with our assets so don't hesitate to show your progress in the WIP category of the forum :)