Replacing Character Controller

peterpants

I would like to replace your character controller's code with the Kinematic Character Controller from the asset store but retain everything else. Is this something that would be a nightmare to try and do?

Yes - this isn't possible without many changes. What in particular are you looking for from the Kinematic Character Controller? It would probably be easier to build that into the existing controller.

Last edited:
It's a great character controller that is near flawless. If you have the asset try the character playground scene with the ultimate character controller. You'll notice that your controller gets stuck in the geometry and will hiccup on stairs with just basic walking without crouching/jumping/etc. I imagine there would be more problems if you were to do that.

I attached a picture of some of the geometry tests included in the kinematic character controller asset so you can get an idea.

Attachments

• colliders.jpg
    colliders.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 28
I was able to reproduce getting stuck in the Corridor4 (1) after running - I'll take a closer look at that. Can you record a video of the stairs hiccup?

Have to agree completely with Justin here. The Kinematic Character Controller does many things in a VERY different way, and you have to adapt to some very specific rules that would probably be really hard to get working well with UCC. Also, be aware that KCC seems to have been abandoned by its developer.

It's still a fantastic system, and I've managed to build an ability system on top of it that borrows a lot of ideas from TPC 1 (plus a few other systems), but I'd personally be extremely wary of basing new projects on it.

That being said, the included playground scene is really a perfect character controller stress test, so not a bad idea to try poking holes in UCC with that ... :D

I've fixed the collision issue within the Kinematic Character Controller playground scene. Please let me know what issue you are seeing with the stairs - marking this one as solved for now.