Reducing Camera Clipping in First Person

I have "full body awareness" and have not put any third person objects to be hidden, as in the setup video. However, due to this, I am having problems with the camera often not rendering the arms properly due to clipping. In UFPS 1 I did not have this problem and could keep my character's arms visible while running around without any weapons equipped. Will you be looking into improving this and in the meantime give me some tips on how to avoid it, because it is one of my favourite things about UFPS as it adds a great deal to the immersion aspect imo (depending on the type of game of course). Without it, I can't help but look down and be reminded my character has a torso and legs, but tragically, no arms... Unless he's carrying a gun lol.

The attached image is often what I see when crouch walking. The character's glove is visible, but his hand is not. It will often not render the glove either, usually when running and the hand comes really close to the camera. No special shader being used anywhere - just Unity standard Shader.

Near Camera Clipping Plane is 0.01

What I meant with UFPS 1 was that, when carrying no weapons, you could still show the arms of the character, and they very rarely had any problem with camera clipping. On the new version, Nolan for example, has no first person arms because they are hidden - as shown in your setup video. So it seems we can only now have arms if we have weapons (because they're part of the weapon model). Hopefully this makes sense.

Attachments

• Look_Ma_No_Hands.jpg
    Look_Ma_No_Hands.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 25
I think that's related to the render bounds of the arms. If you haven't hidden the arms then UFPS won't prevent those arms from being shown. If you increase the render bounds then it should show.

I seemed to have solved it (I think) by also altering the Look Offset of the camera rendering as well as setting all skinned meshes on the character to Update When Offscreen (even though they're not offscreen, but whatever, if it works it works).

Next I need to chop off his head (lol) - I'll use the fps mesh tool.

One more question about the arms though: Once the character has a weapon equipped, how will the system know that it should no longer render the "normal" arms if I haven't specified them to be hidden? Won't it render two sets of arms (the normal ones and the arms on the weapon model)?

Once the character has a weapon equipped, how will the system know that it should no longer render the "normal" arms if I haven't specified them to be hidden? Won't it render two sets of arms (the normal ones and the arms on the weapon model)?
It would. You may be able to use the camera's culling mask to your advantage, or you could switch out the material at runtime which would show/hide the arms.

I see. Can I request this "officially" in a future update? It was a major feature of UFPS 1, and I did not know it wasn't a part of version 2. I think your second idea was the closest to the method used in UFPS 1 - the head and arms use the invisible/shadow caster material, but when you put away any weapons, the "normal" arms are shown again - though I'm not sure if either the material is switched on the arms or the mesh renderer is just enabled - probably the former, otherwise shadows would be ruined.

Anyway yes, it was an option in UFPS 1: "show unarmed arms" (lol) or something like that.

Do you know where that option was at in version 1? I'm going through it but can't find the option.

Not sure where the option itself is in the editor, but if you look at the Player Body section of the old UFPS manual, the full body awareness part explains the feature. Then there is more in-depth stuff for setting the character up. Also read the "anatomy of a player body section - especially the Skinned Mesh Renderer. What I called "normal arms" the UFPS manual refers to as "mecanim arms".

An excerpt:
"2) The Skinned Mesh Renderer
This is a regular Unity SkinnedMeshRenderer component with three materials for preventing clipping and multiple arms in 1st person. These are manipulated by the bodyanimator script. Basically, when you are in 1st person the "Head" and "Arm" materials are replaced by an invisible, shadow casting shader. If you go unarmed in 1st person, the "Mecanim arms" are again shown (optional). When you toggle to 3rd person these get replaced by a normal material. See this tutorial for info on how to set up body materials."

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...m3KzMfsPUGBI/pub?embedded=true#h.xl4ny6t0c2gv

If this gets resolved I think you may almost be hitting two birds with one stone, because you could then be able to have the "weapon arms" cast & receive shadows by not using the first person camera. I'm currently trying to make a first person shooter in a horror setting, but I can't have these glow in the dark arms haha.

Will the option to show character arms (when no weapon is equipped )make it into version 2.1 you have planned?

EDIT: Saw your other post (y)

Last edited: