Recommended approach for animation triggers (attack, etc.)?

DotMeep

I understand the approach for floats related to movement speed, etc., what is the best practice for implementing attack triggers? I've managed a good chase / attack sequence, but I'm tripping up as to how I should trigger the attack. Tempted to just put an animator trigger in the tree, but after reading the support docs I'm wondering if there's a better way...

The same approach for triggers applies as it does for the other animator parameters. As your tree gets larger it makes it harder to manage and the behavior tree is best with the overall flow of the AI rather than the nitty-gritty of assigning a trigger. For our character controller integration the character controller is responsible for setting the trigger.

Thanks for all your help Justin-- so would you have a separate proximity check on the character controller that would trigger an attack when close enough, with nothing to do with the behavior tree at all, or have the behavior tree set a proximity bool that the character control can check against?