Proper Integration with FinalIK/PuppetMaster

JAKAMY

Hi, is there a plan or joint plan with Root Motion to integrate well FinalIK, Grounder and PuppetMaster? The built in IK is ok for FPS view but not up to part with some 3rd person gameplay scenarios I am prototyping.
Example gameplay:
  • Zombie grabs character on shoulders and start biting on the Character neck.
  1. Using built in IK and interaction system. I get the hands and arms to have broken wrists and wrong angles. Sometimes also the arms get attached a few pixels away from target.
  2. Using built in feet placement doesn't really reach FinalIK grounder render.
Solution I found:
  • Using the latest version and following the integration steps for FinalIK I was able to get a realistic reaction to hits with Puppetmaster and have the hands place correctly and look natural with the arms. However, it is jittery and FinalIk Grounder doesn't work unless I enable back at runtime the FullBody Final IK component even with the bridge component.
Documentation is quite lacking on using interaction and grounder with Final IK. I couldn't find anything on both Opsive and Root Motion. It will be great to have this integration working well because it will make the Ultimate Character Controller a more robust solution.
Please if anyone have a way to get good IK and interaction working with UCC do let me know.

PS: I started a topic on both Opsive and RootMotion hoping for a join effort.

Last edited:
I definitely want to look into proper integration with both of the assets together. I think that if we can figure out a way to have both integrations use the same update location then it will solve the issue. I will let you know after I have a chance to look into it.

FinalIK and PuppetMaster will not work correctly together with version 2. It's my goal to fix this for version 3.

Thanks for the update and information, Justin!

While it hurts to learn that finalIK + puppetmaster can't work with v2, it means I don't have to spend any more time on it for now. :)

I'm looking forward to the v3 integration!

Puppetmaster seemed to be working well enough but would throw a warning because UCC forces motion to the in Update and puppetmaster wants it in fixed update. I think I was getting some glitchy behavior where the character wouldn't settle properly depending on the shape of mesh it was standing on.

I was in the process of getting FinalIK's interaction system to work with UCC so that I could have my characters properly hold objects in the scene from pre-defined "grip locations."

Things were sort of working but my characters would also have their skeletons bent all out of proportion as soon as they picked up the object.

It's frustrating but I also have other options. I am going to try uMotion to see if I can just fix the animations I have so they look right and rely on UCC for now until the v3-compatible integration is released.

From what I saw and worked with, Final IK should work with UCC v2 by itself just fine. I pivoted to using uMotion to fix my animations so they're closer to what I want first. I will likely circle back to Final IK and try to integrate it again so I can take advantage of its features.

I was having trouble getting all three to work together.

Okay. Im gonna try to use Final IK, mostly Aim IK to see if the left hand behaves better and keeps its position

No, I haven't had that issue. Hopefully I don't.

Final IK and UCC v3 seem to be playing nicely together. No compilation issues, setup was straight forward.

One thing I notice is how little "weight" I need to give the effectors in final IKs' before they start giving me desirable results. Values as low as 0.07.