Problems with Activating the Hang Ability

nitrox32

I've been able to get the hang ability to work but only by walking up to the ledge and pressing the jump button. When I do this, Nolan jumps up and grabs the ledge. When I press the jump button again Nolan lets go of the ledge. I'd like to activate the ability like the demo scene however when Nolan walks up to the ledge the hang ability is not being activated nor is the UI massage being shown. Pressing F doesn't do anything either. I've looked at the demo and tried to set it up the same way. I don't think I missed anything.

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
If you enable draw debug lines are you able to see the offset? This page has more explanation:

I do have the draw debug enabled. I guessing it is the white line in the above Nolan (pic 1). The red object to hand on has an Object Identifier component that is set to 104. Nolan does recognize the ledge when it is at eye level and if I press F Nolan will grab the ledge there is just no jumping up to the ledge (pic2).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    355.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    367.9 KB · Views: 2
If jump isn't starting then the easiest way to debug is to place a breakpoint within Hang.AbilityStarted. Line 430 is what should start the jump ability - does it start?

Yes, it's on line 412:

Code:
        /// <summary>
        /// The ability has started.
        /// </summary>
        protected override void AbilityStarted()
        {
            m_LastHangObject = m_DetectedObject;

I'm not sure. I'm not trying to be snippy, but if I new what was stopping the jump ability I would have solved the problem. :) What else can I try?

Unfortunately it's really hard to say what the problem is without debugging it line by line. If you insert a breakpoint and start stepping through the functions then it should give a better clue..