Pickup Animation not always triggering with different pickup items

nathanj

Having an issue with pickup items triggering pickup animations.

When my player picks up equippable weapons the pickup animation is triggered but when they pickup food items there is no animation triggered. In the Pickup ability the index of 111 triggered a pickup from ground animation - and as stated, it works for weapons but not for food items.

AvoItem.PNG SpearItem.PNG

PickUp.PNG

That might be a bug on our part.
It's possible that when the system detects that the item isn't a UCC weapon it doesn't do the UCC pickup animation and instead goes straight to adding the item in the Inventory.
I will add this in my TODO list of things to review. Sorry for the inconvinience

I may be seeing the same thing here. I made a pickup item and wanted my character to animate before the item gets picked up (removed) but the animation isn't firing. Looking at the code, before any animations might fire I see this.

m_ItemPickup.DoItemPickup(m_GameObject, m_Inventory, m_SlotID, !immediatePickup, immediatePickup);

immediatePickup in my case is false, but of course that makes it immediate. Then there's another potential problem. The rest of the code continues but because this pickup is set to unequip everything first (allowedEquippedSlotsMask == 0) it just picks up and doesn't fire the animation.

My Allow Equipped Items settings are as follows so I'd expect no items to be equipped when the action happens but no unequipping goes on
1635885059914.png

Are these the same issues and if so, how is progress on it?

Last edited:
AKB, are you using the latest UCC/UIS integration version? Are you using a UIS or UCC based pickup?
A few versions ago I added the ability to animate pickups even with UIS based pickups using the Pickup Character Ability.
UIS based pickups will have the same animation for all pickups, while UCC based pickups can have different animations per weapon (not other items).

Hi there. I am just using UCC without UIS and my pickup animations don't play. In fact I don't even see the animator parameter change so it seems the index isn't being set. This is my config.

1635966412069.png

FYI: I tried with or without WaitForAnimationEvent checked and even the delay doesn't happen (Picked up immediately).
I tried removing the PickupItemDefinitions entry, so that it works in case that was the issue but still no animation.

Last edited:
Ah since you aren't using the UCC/UIS integration then this is the wrong thread.

I had a look at the pickup ability in the demo scene and the Allow Equipped Items are all toggled on and Reequip slots is off. I'm not sure if that is the reason the item does not play the animation. You might want to look at your equip/unequip abilities too since it's possible the pickup goes through those to pickup the item. Try to compare yours with the ones from the demo scene.

If that's not it I'd recommend you create a new thread in the UCC category, someone more experienced with pure UCC will be able to help you there. I'm the developer of the Inventory system.