Performance improver

AnAppGames

So i didnt really know where to post this so if this is the wrong place then i am sorry!

I have created a performance improver that improves performance A LOT this is for those of you who needs a lot of agents all around the screen.

I posted this in the discord but i didnt want it to get lost so therefore im posting it again here are my results so far:

1616075306056.png

In this scene there are 100 units currently no GPU instancing and all of them run on fixed update instead of update.

All of the units are running the standard mechanim with all of the standard scripts including Inverse kinematic.

Later today i will post my update trying to reach 200+ units on the screen at the same time :)

So a small update here is an image showing 200 units

1616095343377.png

Now this method of performance does have a draw back. it doesnt work with huge crowds where you can see all of the units at VERY close distance

However if we have all of the units from an above view here are the results:

1616095444087.png

So from far away it will work really well :)

For most games this is fine since you wont be watching all 200 units at the same time but if that is a requirement then this method properly wont work.

Looks cool! How did you do it??
i actually thought i would update the thread soon but in general we use a sort of LOD to minimize the use of the character controller. Also the AI that i use is an asset i will publish later this year :) Then i use the camera to check which agents to display and which to "hide".

I will make a bridge between my AI and Opsive which means that you wont actually lose any data :)

Do all of them use the character locomotion script? My CPU ms gets absolutely butchered as soon as I have even a few agents that happen to have that script on them.