Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Integrations.UMA.m_CharacterCreated is protected?

adampliska

I'm trying to add a handler to Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Integrations.UMA.m_CharacterCreated via script, but the member is protected... Why is this? I made it public, but I'm trying to understand why it was set as protected.

Also, not sure if it's just me but in Unity 2019.2.9f1 I'm not able to add a handler though the editor either. When I go to the Inspector, in that script, then to the Events section, and click the plus sign... nothing happens. I've used that section before.

Any thoughts?

Are you getting any compiler errors? I can add a public property to access it, or you can subclass UMACharacterBuilder and add your own property. The thought process would be that you use the inspector to assign this.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. Actually I just made it public for now. It was an easy change and I can now access it though code. But though the Unity IDE.... very odd. It still doesn't work, even after making it public. No error, just when I click the + icon to add a new handler, nothing happens. Like the button is disabled, (but it's not).

Other event handlers can be added (to other scripts) like to my UMA character when the UMA is generated. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is and I didn't dig further through the code. I really only needed to add the handler though script, but noticed the Unity IDE issue at around the same time.

If there is anything you'd like me to try, let me know. Otherwise I'll just continue with the modification to make it public.

- Adam

It still doesn't work, even after making it public. No error, just when I click the + icon to add a new handler, nothing happens. Like the button is disabled, (but it's not).

Other event handlers can be added (to other scripts) like to my UMA character when the UMA is generated. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is and I didn't dig further through the code. I really only needed to add the handler though script, but noticed the Unity IDE issue at around the same time.

If there is anything you'd like me to try, let me know. Otherwise I'll just continue with the modification to make it public.

- Adam
Same here. 2.3.1 version; Unity 2020.1.3f1.

This works:
or you can subclass UMACharacterBuilder
When doing this, the button starts to work for my new script. I don't know why.