ONLINE STUFF

Ramarolo

Hi all,

I wanna know a good solution to integrate online stuff to the UCC asset. I mean, any asset or any whatever to avoid programming almost everything related to online leaderboards, worldwide rankings, deathmatch competition, online tournaments....For example, think of how would you implement Call of Duty programming to your game already having Ultimate Character Controller, that is what I mean.

Maybe there is some asset in Unity Asset Store or maybe one of the official Unity example projects like starting point, or Github posts, visual scripting...
Until today I did not program anything related to online services, so I do not know where I should start.

Thanks

The Ultimate Character Controller has the PUN add-on, but this is just character synchronization and requires scripting. Multiplayer programming is one of the most difficult topics so I don't think that you are going to find anything that doesn't require scripting.

Look into Steam, Discord SDK or GameSparks. There are several others...

All will require scripting. That said, personally - I'd create my own depending on project requirements.

Last edited:
Developing a game is hard enough, adding multiplayer is just crazy work.

If you want to give it a shot, you can try:

- Play around with UCC to learn how to create videogames (At least, its systems and logics. I'm not talking about all the artistic side that is like... 70% of your game).
- Create a server for other games to learn how to manage Gamemodes and networking. Personally i learnt a lot by creating SAMP and MTA servers (Grand Theft Auto San Andreas multiplayer mods)

Then when you feel confident in both zones, you can try creating something unique. (But be aware, will need a lot of scripting, networking configurations, anticheat, databases and the list goes on)

The Ultimate Character Controller has the PUN add-on, but this is just character synchronization and requires scripting. Multiplayer programming is one of the most difficult topics so I don't think that you are going to find anything that doesn't require scripting.

Thanks all for replying.

I was checking almost all the options you all comment on here. Yes, I know that soon or later I have to program online stuff and I do not fear it, but as a new in the online matter, I was looking for an instrument (asset, program, web, etc...) that guide me in the process.

Looks good the PUN addon that you mentioned, and I guess it can cover my needs. I just need a full guide from the very beginning of its use until full implementation. I found one PUN in Unity tutorial series very completed but it is from 2013....and the API surely changed a lot.
In the official PUN web docs there´s a tutorial when it is supposed to cover most of needed.
1583853607523.png
I am gonna ask in Unity official forum about any course or guide to actually implement all these features in a shooter, and if I find one I will make you know to help others.

Be aware that PUN is not great for all game types. Also it is a paid resource... do your due diligence before diving in the deep end.