Mouse sensitivity should not be framerate dependent

enikey87

Any news on this issue? https://www.opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/mouse-sensitivity-is-framerate-dependent.1235/, huh?
With turned off VSync UFPS look rotation slows down. And locking framerate to 60 is not the solution, it's just an ugly hack.

There are from 3 to 7 topics about this issue and all dev's answers lead to "lock your framerate to 60". But good shooter games doesn't have anything like that - CS:GO runs at 1000FPS and have no sensitivity issues.

It's internal UFPS issue and I wanna know: is it going to be fixed?

The mouse is updated within FixedUpdate and then depending on when you are updating the Character Locomotion it'll depend on when the camera and character moves. So the mouse input is not framerate dependent, but the character physics are if you are within the Update loop. You don't have to set the max framerate to 60, it can be a higher number. It's there just to prevent update from being called too many times and having the character/camera move each tick.

Maybe a future update should have the camera be able to run in fixed and the character update within update? That would take some playing to get it working correctly without jitter but with that setup

The mouse is updated within FixedUpdate and then depending on when you are updating the Character Locomotion it'll depend on when the camera and character moves. So the mouse input is not framerate dependent, but the character physics are if you are within the Update loop. You don't have to set the max framerate to 60, it can be a higher number. It's there just to prevent update from being called too many times and having the character/camera move each tick.

Maybe a future update should have the camera be able to run in fixed and the character update within update? That would take some playing to get it working correctly without jitter but with that setup
Thank you for the reply, but it doesn't solve the problem: when FPS become high (~150+) then mouse look become choppy and slow. IMHO character movement should be in FixedUpdate and Camera rotation in Update. UFPS code is compilated and I hope you can help with quick patch to fix it cause I can fix it by myself but I had to spend up to 2 weeks and author can do it within few hours I believe.

BTW I'm using default Nolan character in 1st person view and don't have any of my scripts controlling it.

Last edited:
The trick with that setup will be to prevent jitter. The focus will likely be on the KinematicObjectManager class. I'm not able to look into it right now but I definitely will do a pass before the next update.