Looking to make damage go straight to health, ignoring shields

UndeadPathfinder_

Hey all, beginner game designer here so I'm a bit rusty to all the nuances and I'm getting used to this amazing asset in creating my first game! Currently, I'm using the shield attribute as a "Thermal Heat Reserve" instead of the conventional shield. The value of said reserve diminishes over time as a result of the cold environment the player takes part in. Once this reserve reaches zero, the player's health begins to tick down rapidly until death.

Now as you might imagine, upon loading the "Tactical Shooter AI" asset into my game and fighting the AI enemies, their damage lowers the players reserve before straight up damaging the players health. This is expected as currently the UFPS system is still registering the shield attribute as just that, a shield. My question, is there any way to have the AI agents ignore the shield and apply damage directly to health instead of going through the shield first? This would circumvent the issue of the compounding environment 'shield' loss, as well as the AI agents lowering the reserve threshold.

I apologize if this is a silly request, I'm just learning the ropes of what's possible/what's not. Or is there is a better way of doing this I'd be super interested in knowing! Thanks for your time.

Welcome! There isn't a way built in way to bypass the shield but what you could do is:

1. Don't specify a shield for the health component.
2. Manually decrease the Thermal Heat Reserve when the character enters the cold environment.
3. When the Thermal Heat Reserve reaches 0 your script should then decrease the Health.

With this setup when your AI fires the character the health will be decreased because there isn't a shield specified and you still get the full functionality of the Thermal Heat Reserve.

That sounds perfect! I've been trying to get that implemented but I've been having difficulty trying to get the value of the Thermal Heat Reserve (THR) attribute. I've been able to get the THR attribute itself via script, but that doesn't necessarily get me the value of the THR. With the shield attribute, I believe there was a built in "Get Shield value" script that I used so I could track the value of the shield. Is there something similar that can track the value of a specific attribute?