Item/weapon disappears when I hit play

Hi. I recently purchased UFPS and I'm having trouble setting up a basic character with no body awareness. I've watched the video tutorials and followed them exactly. I'm trying to give my character a shootable weapon. After building the item and positioning it in the viewport, the weapon simply disappears when I hit play. It doesn't do this in your video tutorial, so I really don't know what is wrong. Do I have to equip the item? If so, how? I'm also not using any animations. This is just a basic setup. I've also tried this with the Nolan prefab and got the same results.

The weapon does need to be equipped - make sure you've added the item type to the default loadout and have all of the equip abilities added.

I'm not getting you. I've added the item type to the default loadout and have the abilities added. Still nothing. Shouldn't this just work? I've been been trying to figure out this basic entry level feature for days. I got Nolan to equip a weapon by adding it to his default loadout, but if I create a new weapon for him and add it, nothing. What am I not seeing? I've been through every parameter. This can't be that difficult to do.

It's extremely tough to say but I do recommend going through the video step by step. If something is different I recommend taking a step back in the video and seeing what is different before continuing on. You can also follow the text documentation:

https://opsive.com/support/document...ntroller/getting-started/setup/item-creation/

Some other things to check:

- You've assigned a visible object to the First Person Perspective Item
- The Inventory inspector should show your weapon as in bold text with the slot number indicating that it is equipped.

OK. So after hours of testing, I finally got an item to appear on screen when I hit play. Instead of trying to create my own weapon, I gave up and just used the demo assault rifle. This worked. However, the item does not respond to any of its scripts. It just sits there motionless. In the video tutorial, I can see that you are able to position the item using its position offset within its first person perspective item script. I can't even do this. How come? Any reason why creating my own weapon doesn't work?

Are you able to get it to work if you create a fresh project, just import UFPS, and then follow the tutorial? I think once you are able to get this work you should be able to get your own weapon working and you should be able to precisely follow the video tutorial.

Beyond that it would be helpful if you can post all of the components on the weapon that you created.

That's exactly what I did. My test project wasn't working, so I created a new one from scratch with a fresh import of ufps. I followed the tutorial exactly. The only difference is that I did not use full body awareness. Not like that should matter. I also updated unity and ufps. Not sure if it makes a difference, but for the right arm I just used an empty game object as a parent to the items. This is very frustrating because in the old ufps, I could easily get a basic character up and running. I spent an extra $57, again, for something I already have. The fact that I can't even create a basic fps means that it isn't ultimate. You guys really need to improve the setup process. Why not just include working prefabs of basic characters like the old ufps? I will try again tonight because I really want this to work. This time I will use full body awareness like the tutorial.

Not using full body awareness could affect things. Equipping items is done with animation events by default so if you don't have an animator setup then those events will never be received. You can change this on the animator event trigger.

Beyond that the character builder should make it easy to setup so you don't need a prefab. If it still doesn't work feel free to attach your character and I'll take a look (if you want to send your whole project you can do so via PM or email)

So I got the full body awareness character working, but I still can't get items to work with no full body awareness. I tried setting one up in multiple different ways and the best result I got was a gun floating motionless attached to the camera. There should be a tutorial for this too since it seems so difficult. I'm completely lost. I'll attach the character.

Attachments

• First Person Character.zip
    23 KB · Views: 6
Thanks - that helped me understand what is going on. I had to make the following changes in order to get the item to appear (the first two may already be setup for you but because it was a prefab it didn't bring in the references):

1. Assign the Assault Rifle ItemType to the default loadout
2. Assign the DemoItemCollection asset to the ItemSetManager

The third one is what made the item visible:

3. Add the First Person Base Object component to the Hand GameObject.

I'm trying to understand your use case a bit more because I may not have accounted for it. Do you plan on just having the weapons, with no arms? What did you specify for the First Person values within the Item Manager? The Item Manager assumes that you are going to have arms to go along with the item creation (but I should be able to adjust it to allow for no arms at all).

Wow that worked! I was away from my computer, so I haven't had a chance to test it. Thank you so much for your help.

So, I'm working on a kind of retro fps. I will probably eventually use arms, but for now I just wanted to keep it simple. There seems to be a steep learning curve with this program, so I wanted to avoid any unnecessary complications like bones and animation. Does the first person base object have to be bones in order for the First Person Base Object component to be added to it? Or did the demo arms just already have it added?

I'll see if your use case can be improved for a future version.. should probably have thought that you may not want to have any arms at all :oops:

Does the first person base object have to be bones in order for the First Person Base Object component to be added to it? Or did the demo arms just already have it added?
No bones are required.