item views aren't showing?

slammato

hello,

i'm attempting to rebuild the integration demo's inventory ui in my project. it seems like a good enough place to start, and i like the BoTW setup. i've attempted to copy the settings from the integration demo scene(which i have open in a separate project for reference). i'm still learning the UIS, and while helpful, the tutorial videos don't really line up with copying any schemas nor working with the integration. i hear that's getting worked on(yay!). i will try to be detailed, but very likely will miss something.
but anyways, i could use some help. i know it is a lot of things, but they all seem related:

i have a few issues:
-i only vaguely understand the "main menu" concept, and it isn't really touched on in the videos or documentation.
-can’t drag from inventory into equipment. it works inside the inventory grid, but not inside the equipment grid. as per the "classic" schema, i have both inventory and equipment on the same parented "My Inventory Grid Panel".
-equip view slots don’t show equipment, they don't appear to work at all actually.
-first item i pick up in inventory disappears, leaves an empty view slot.
-item icons disappear on interaction, they don't show attribute values.
-items don’t show proper icons, just opsive logo. ie, no sword showing the icon i put in the definition for sword.
-all the red errors (there are 51, but i think this is all the unique ones.)
-i know a fair amount of these errors are from me leaving the normal UCC weapons in my scene from before the integration. i have them as placeholders to save values for when i need to replace them. i'm not sure how much they are messing things up.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 8.03.13 PM.png

well.... FML. i actually went line by line through the editor comparing my setup to the demo. was it worth it? not really. i still have the same issues.

So there are plenty of unrelated things which are all giving you errors. And most likely some errors are triggered by other errors.

First of all, I always recommend users use the UI Designer Schema to build their UI piece by piece instead of simply copy pasting an existing UI from the demo scene. As you build the UI you can test it at each step and as soon as you see something off you can start digging into it. When you copy past the UI from the demo scene there are many things that can go wrong.

Second, I am rebuilding the integration from scratch and I should be finished sometime this month. Some of the issues you are having won't be issues anymore with the next update. But quite a few of the errors you have will remain.
The main part to take into account is that the way the Database will be organized, and the required Item Attributes will change a bit.

Now for the errors you are getting

1) The Inventory Database you are using is not the same as the demo scene, therefore all the ItemCategories that are referenced by the components in the UI are invalid... they are all pointing to item categories that do not exist in your project. The system usually tries to automatically find ItemCategories with the same name and hope that they are similar enough to make it work, but sometimes that's not possible. So the first error says you have a "Category Attribute View Set" scriptable object in your Description compnonent that is refecing ItemCategories that do no exist in you Database. To fix this simply go to all the Descriptions and make sure to either remove or replace the "Category Attribute View Set".

2) The second error says an Item View Slot is Null. This might have been caused by another error. It simply means that you ItemViewSlotContainer size does not match the amount of Item View Slot it has. It's most likely related to the ItemSlotCollectionView for your equipment, maybe you have more slots than in the demo scene and therefore the UI is missing some slots?

3) The UCC errors may be causing other errors which can break the UI... so I would get rid of them before you start working on the UI. Perhaps create a new scene with just you player with the items or simply a prefab. But while you are making the UI you should probably remove all those pure UCC items to prevent the errros.

4) The rest of the errors seem to be related to the UI... My guess is that your UIS Items in your database do not have the same attributes as the ones in the demo scene and therefore the UI is trying to get access to values that do not exist. Either that or the previous errors caused those ones.

Now for your other issues.
1) The MainMenu is simply a panel with sub panels, there's nothing really special about it. It can easily be setup using the UI Designer Editor
2) For Drag & Drop I would recommend you watch the video tutorials and read the documentation. The most important part is that you get the Drop Actions right for the Integration. Also note that if your UCC/UIS items are not setup correctly then trying to equip items won't work.
3) The Equipment UI won't show anything if you don't have the items setup to work for the integration
4) The rest of your issues might be caused by all the errors you are getting which prevent the items from being initialized correctly.

To recap, I would recommend you try setting things up bit by bit. This will make sure that you get familiar with all the features and as soon as you start getting errors/issues you'll know that it is the last thing you added that caused it.

Also I remind you that I am working on a big UCC+UIS update and the way items are equipped will be quite different than before. I'll explain it in detail in the release notes.
I'll also make sure to write a lot more documentation for the integration with this update. I'll take into account the issues you encountered and I'll try to address them in the documentation such that you and other users can have a better understanding of the system and use it to its full potential.

I hope this helps :)

hey, i certainly appreciate the detailed reply. it's really helpful! i think if the new videos start out directly from the end of the integration video and go through the ui schema that you spawn into the scene, that would be incredibly helpful. as they are, i was presented with two very different scenarios to follow along with, and being new to all of this, i struggled.

also, i need to keep pushing on with this project, so hopefully updating to the future integration will work.

-i didn't copy/paste the demo ui, i built a new one and tried to recreate everything that i saw in the demo. with every piece that was stashed in the demo folder, i tried to recreate a version of it in my own folder. i guess this point is neither here nor there, but just in case anyone else tries to do the same, i thought i should mention it. it clearly didn't work for me. haha! but, having gone through this, i now have a better idea of what all of the little parts and pieces are.

-i have the inventory itself working for my character, it's just the UI that isn't working for me, so i will try to go step by step with that. i currently have this attempted inventory canvas disabled, but should i just outright delete it for when i start on the new one?

Since it's not very clear which demo scene you mentioned above, I just want to clarify that the integration has a demo scene, in case you missed it.
It has the UI setup to work for the integration, so my advice is that you use it as a guideline on how to setup your UI.
Note that you should be careful whenever you use prefabs from the demo scenes though, since they will be overriden whenever you make an update. In the next update a lot will change, so some prefabs might be very different. Just a heads up.