Item Ability Aim - Changes Movement Type

Luke

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me out!

When you enter the Item Ability Aim, there is a change in movement style, so the horizontal input switches which animation is used and it is more of a strafing movement style.

Where can I make it so it doesn't change the movement style whilst in the Ability Aim?

Aim.JPG

I can't see any states changing on the CharacterController script, but there is a change in the movement style and I would like it to stay the same when entering Aim.

If I turn off 'Requires Active Aim' on the aim assist script then the lock on acts like as I would like it too, there is no change to the movement style.

Active Aim.JPG

However, I would like to be able to toggle the lock on in the game and also use the rotate towards target function in the Item Ability Aim.

So I need the Item Ability Aim active without any changes to the current movement style!

I hope this all makes sense and someone can help me out!

Take care out there.

Best Regards,

Luke

Does the Horizontal Movement parameter change values? I just did a test and without any changes in the demo scene the Horizontal Movement value was changed when aiming so I am not seeing the same thing that you are. You are using the Four Legged Movement Type, correct? This returns the normal input vector and does not modify the value.

Hey Justin,

I have switched over to the Adventure movement type now for the project.

When in Adventure the Horizontal Movement parameter on the animator doesn't increase or decrease during normal movement for me.

Horizontal Movement.JPG

When I activate the Item Abilty Aim it does start increasing/decreasing based on input.

Is there a way to activate Aim, with out the change in movement type?

Thank you for the late night reply, I hope you have been well!

The Adventure Movement Type will never have a Horizontal Movement value - if you want Horizontal Movement then you should use Combat.

No, that is the issue, I don't want the Horizontal Movement at all.

But when I activate the Item Ability Aim, the movement type changes and I can't figure out where it is changing.

From what I can see there is no state changes on the character controller script at all.

But when Aim is active, the Horizontal Movement is active too, when I turn off the Aim ability the Horizontal Movement parameter stops changing.

I basically want to use the Item Ability Aim, without it changing the movement type/ activating horizontal movement.

Here is a short video showing what I mean, after a few seconds I enable the Item Abilty Aim.

It doesn't look like your video went through. On the Ultimate Character Locomotion component you can scroll to the bottom of that component to see which states are activated. It sounds like one of those states is activating a Movement Type that you don't expect.

That is really wierd as I can see the video :(

There is a state change where you mention, the Aim State becomes Active.

But there is no movement style set to change in the state, I also set that when the 'Aim' State is active it activates Adventure movement style, but it makes no difference - the horizontal input is still used.

I have deleted all other movement styles and this still persists, so it is something do with the input?

When the Item ability Aim is active, the horizontal movement input is active again, where is this happening?

I looked in the Aim script but there seems to be no reference :(

I will find a way to just use the Aim Assist script on its own with requiring active aim Justin if I can't stop the horizontal movement being active during the Aim ability.

Another issue I have, I hope you have an easy fix for is that when the Ultimate Character Locomotion script is de-activated the camera will stop following the object.

I de-activated the character controller and control the player via another script during the game, but I would like the camera to still keep the look source and follow the player.

I have tried adding a local look source with no luck.

Is there any way to stop the Ultimate Character Locomotion script controlling the movement, whilst keeping the camera locked onto the player.

Disabling the UltimateCharacterLocomotion component is not recommended as it's likely to cause errors from other components that rely on it. You can prevent the component from moving the character in other ways though, e.g. you can use the state system to temporarily disable player input and set the character's time scale to 0.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The issue is that the UltimateCharacterLocomotion component doesn't allow any movement to the game object it is attached to, unless it is from input.

I am trying to move the player via another script during a special kill, if the UltimateCharacterLocomotion component is active, I can not move the player at all. I am moving the player towards a gameobject to align for a special kill, then he moves to bite his neck.

Deactivating UltimateCharacterLocomotion component allows the movement to work, but the camera does not pivot the player until the UltimateCharacterLocomotion component is reactivated.

Is there a better way to move the player whilst the UltimateCharacterLocomotion component is active, using the state system to temporarily disable player input and set the character's time scale to 0 will just freeze the player.

I would like to be able to move the player via another script that I have set up.

Are you able to repro the problem within the demo scene? I'm not completely following what is going on but if I can repro it and take a closer look then I'll have a better idea.

For the Ultimate Character Locomotion active question, the proper way to handle that situation is to create a new ability that is activated during your special kill. This will allow you to control the movements without needing to disable the Ultimate Character Controller. The Camera Controller is not designed to be able to follow the character when the locomotion component is disabled.