Interaction Indicator not showing on Dialogue system interactions

Catsablanca

Hello! I've started a new project with the Third Person Controller, Ultimate Inventory System and Dialogue System packages. I think the interaction system that I'm using is the UIS one but am unsure if I've hooked up the correct scripts. I've added all the integration downloads for them.

The setup is as follows:
Player Character: Inventory interactor
NPC: Dialogue System Trigger Interactable Target, Interactable (in UCC/Scripts/Traits)

The interaction works, but the Indicator that shows above the character does not become visible when I get within interaction range. What am I doing wrong? Other interactions like the panel openers and pickup interactables show the indicator and work as expected.

If you are using the Iventory Interactor to interact with NPCs you should be using the Interactable (UIS) component on the NPC, not the UCC one.

The UCC interaction does not let the interactable component know that it is in range to be interacted with (we plan to add this feature in the next UCC update).

The UIS interactable component looks like this:
1629095763757.png
And you can use the OnSelect and OnDeselect event to enable/disable the indicator gameobject.

I know this is an old post, but I am having similar issues and didn't want to start a new thread just yet. I am using UIS with Dialog System, and the only way I can get the Dialog System trigger to work is by disabling the Graphic Raycaster on the Inventory Canvas. But then that obviously breaks the functionality.

I have tried applying the Interactable component to the NPC that has the Dialog System Trigger with no success. I am wondering if I am not getting the masks right.

Setting the Blocking Mask on the Graphic Raycaster component also yields no results.

What am I missing with getting the UIS to work with the Dialog System?

Everything is working otherwise. Inventory is working, all UI elements are working. Just that I cannot get the Dialog System Trigger to activate.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT:
I also would like to mention that when the Inventory Canvas Graphic Raycaster component is disabled, the Dialog System works as intended also. I think it has to do with the masks somehow, but not sure at this point.

Interesting...
Just to clarify, is the Dialogue System Trigger you mentioned part of a screen space UI or is it something in the 3D scene?
If it's on another canvas, you could try making the canvas sort order bigger than the UIS one. That should put the trigger on top.
If it's something in the scene, you might need to set certain images as RaycastTarget -> FALSE
1683896542172.png
It's possible there is an invisible image somewhere as a background that blocks raycast.

If that is not possible you might need some script to bypass the UIS canvas and click through. I think I have a script for that in UIS.
It's called "GraphicRaycasterTarget" and is has an option for click passthrough.

A useful tip is to use the EventSystem component to know what your mouse is detecting in the UI:
1683896736750.png
You can then type that name in the scene search bar to find it in the hierarchy and identify what it is and if it needs to be changed

I hope that helps. If not, if you have a screenshot or a video (use streamable.com) that would be very helpful to see what you're trying to do.

The Dialog System trigger is on an object in the scene.

I discovered that the Gameplay Panel for UIS had the Graphic Raycaster Target component. Disabling this seems to have fixed all the issues. But I am wondering why it is there in the first place as everything is working as intended.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I believe the reason it exist was to allow the player to drag and drop items from the Inventory to the scene view to drop them.
But there are many other solutions to do that, so I think disabling it or removing it makes sense for your use case