Import a fully configured Nolan character?

lledden

Is there a way to import a 'fully equipped' Nolan character with all the default demo items (weapons, behaviors, and animation) into a project. I need to prototype game mechanics and just want default behaviors and weapons to work with. I have spent some time trying to follow the setup guidelines, but it seems complex and kind of hard to follow. So far I've had to start over multiple times without actually being able to make progress on my task.

Indeed this would be a nice thing to have. I'm still learning this but below is what I'm using.
One thing you can do is make a prefab of Nolan from the demo scene and then use that in your scene. You'll also need to do the manager and camera setup. Finally add the weaponPickup prefabs next to your character and off you go.

I appreciate your response. I've worked through page 22 of the Setup guide to setup item types and items and have an assault rifle showing in the scene setup which is properly oriented to the player's hand with animation controller attached. When I hit play, Nolan moves properly, but the weapon doesn't show, there seems to be no weapon selector UI function and I don't see where to go next in the setup guide. Any suggestions. Does the Setup Guide say what to do next, I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance for any help.

The general weapon setup is best explained in either the first or third person item creation videos:

But if you are having equip problems here's a checklist of troubleshooting topics that you can go through:

By going through the Default Loadout assignment I now have the weapon showing and the shooting animation activating. Is there somewhere in the docs that explains that a Default Loadout is required? After you know about it, it makes sense, but I don't have an understanding of an overview of what is required. As a next step I went to the Shootable Weapon Setup tutorial, but have not had success there. The fire point and flash point when selected appear to have their axis oriented to the world xyz axis and not to the weapon. So the forward direction doesn't match what the tutorial video show, I don't know if that matters, but it concerns me when my screen doesn't match. I can move the points to the end of the barrel, but there is no flash animation when firing, and I can't tell what is supposed to activate it.

he fire point and flash point when selected appear to have their axis oriented to the world xyz axis and not to the weapon.
This is going to sound stupid, but are you looking at the local orientation or the global orientation for the GameObject? In the video I was using local orientation.

That was exactly what was going on (with regards to the flash point axis orientation)... sorry for the stupid question.

By going back through each step I have ended up with a working flash animation and shell ejection and projectile firing.

Now I'm trying to have a working 'target'. I added a cube to the scene and the Health script to it. But there is no actual Health value in the health script. Do I need to add an Attribute Manager script also? Is this described somewhere?

I added a box collider to the cube and dragged the box collider to the Hitbox collider in the Health script. I can fire at the cube and see my projectile pass through it, but there is no Damage event triggered. I don't know what to try and don't know where to look to find out what to try.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

For new topics if you can create a new thread that would be great - thanks!

Now I'm trying to have a working 'target'. I added a cube to the scene and the Health script to it. But there is no actual Health value in the health script. Do I need to add an Attribute Manager script also? Is this described somewhere?
Yes, an attribute manager should have automatically been added. The health component then uses the attribute manager to determine the current health value: