How to get started with UCC/UIS integration

Sangemdoko

Staff member
User alexjet1000 asks:
Hey!
I have UCC and recently got UIS but i have a problem.

First of all great assets. This is just asking for help.

I´ve repeated the steps of the integration video a million times and there's no way i get an item (not demo ones) made by me to even equip.
i dont get the steps right making it from scratch and use it with UIS then.
Also is there somewhere in documentation where i can check how to make custom Item Actions (UCC)? I just cannot find that and i feel like im missing it.

i only need the character to have a phone in the inventory and equip it with a custom ucc item action. im even using 'Nothing' in the item action now and same result. No equip.
i never get it to work and its not that deep (??
it just feels like it would be easier to achieve if i just did not use the integration you know?

What would be the actual steps to make an item with custom functionality, and then use it along with UIS? Like whats each asset´s work in here.

Reading the actual generic steps might get easier than watching a very specific example. Or maybe a reproduction of something very simple (like flashlight) from scratch might help to understand how to set up a custom one and integrate them.

for me everything gets mixed in the end so maybe its my fault.

I hope i can get it to work, i like the asset!!
Very useful system overall
Really want to integrate them both because i see the potential.
Thank you
:)

So there are a few questions here. In the future please do limit to one question per thread.

First of all I want to start with mentioning that I am remaking the integration between UIS/UCC from scratch. A few other users have also mentioned that it was hard to get started. This new integration will be much easier to use and it will come out with an extensive documentation and new video tutorials. That being said making this new integration will take time so I ask you to be patient for now. You can use the current integration for now and we'll have a step by step guide for upgrading to the new version once it comes out in the future.

The answers below are for the current integration version, in the future version the answers to those questions could be different.

1)
I´ve repeated the steps of the integration video a million times and there's no way i get an item (not demo ones) made by me to even equip

Are you getting errors when you try to equip an item?

There are many reasons why your item is not being equipped. The usual ones are
1) You do not have an Item Set for your item
2) Your item does not have the required scripts
3) Your item is not in the correct category

Double check all of these things.

2)
Also is there somewhere in documentation where i can check how to make custom Item Actions (UCC)?
You can learn about UCC Item Actions here:

As for making custom Item Actions, all you need to do is inherit the ItemAction class and override the different functions to get the functionality you want. All the source code is available and documented so you can simply read the comments to know what to do.
You can also read the code from the built-in Item Actions to have some good examples on how to write an item Action.

My guess is that you'll want to override the UsableItem class which already has a few things setup to use your item.

3)
im even using 'Nothing' in the item action now and same result. No equip.
I think you may be confusing the Item Action with equipping. They are not the same.

The UCC Item Action is a component that uses the item which is active (equipped in the characters hand).

In the integration Equipping an item from the Inventory Grid is done in two steps.
1) you call a UIS Item Action (Not to be confused with UCC Item Actions). That action is called "CharacterEquipUnequipItemAction". This is setup in the UI. You can learn more about UIS Item Actions here:
and how to use them in the inventory grid here:
There are also some video tutorials on the subject:
2) The "CharacterEquipUnequipItemAction" tells the bridge component on the character, that the item should be equipped on the character. This will make the item become active on the character. From that point you should see the item in the characters hand and you will use the item as a UCC Item.

4)
What would be the actual steps to make an item with custom functionality, and then use it along with UIS? Like whats each asset´s work in here.

It is important to understand to role of each asset when it comes to items.

UIS takes care of the organizing your items and everything that has to do with items in the in the UI. Therefore using items from the inventory grid is done by UIS. Example use a potion to regain health (in games where the character does not need to animate when using potions)

UCC takes care of items which are equipped and usable by the character. Therefore shooting with a rifle or attacking with a sword is done using UCC.

5)
Reading the actual generic steps might get easier than watching a very specific example. Or maybe a reproduction of something very simple (like flashlight) from scratch might help to understand how to set up a custom one and integrate them.

You may want to watch some of the UCC video tutorials to know how to create a Third or First person perspective Item:

I hope this answers most of your worries and hopefully when the new integration comes out we'll do a better job at explaining how it works and how to use it.

Sangemdoko, thank you very much for your extensive post.
This is approx. the fourth thread I read, that you are working on a new integration and it will take some time. I am having problems with the integration, too. But I want to just wait for the new integration.

Without pressuring you, just so I can plan my further developments of my project, I would like to kindly ask:
When do you think the new integration is done? And without pin pointing you to a specific date: Could we hope to see it already in 2021?

@Adic Boom
The update was released Today!
There is a small issue with the update though so we'll fix it and make another release either today or tomorrow.
I hope that's good :)

When will the new video's post? I have been fighting bugs for a few days, lol, then the update came out and there it went again. Maybe I have parts of the old system and new system causing too many problems. I may just use the demo integration and modify from there; I look forward to the video's when they come out.

@Mark91 I wasn't planning on making a video tutorial for a little while.
You can find all the information you need here, make sure to read it carefully:

To make sure you have everything up to date, check the version of UCC and UIS within their own editors in the bottom left of the window in the main menu. Don't check from the package Manager, some times it is wrong (check the second paragraph of the release notes to learn more)

You'll need the latest UCC 2.3.2 and UIS 1.1.6 and integration 2.0

If you have any issues with the integration don't hesitate to create a new forum post in the UIS/UCC integration category and I'll answer it the best I can

Also be careful with using the demo scene to build your project on. Any updates will completely overwrite your work and you'll lose everything. Make sure to backup your project before any update and if you want to use the demo scene as base, make sure to duplicate the things you need/want and move them to your own folders within your project.